Readout of the Secretary-General's telephone call with H.E. Ms. Park Geun-hye, President of the Republic of Korea
Vienna, 27 February 2013
The Secretary-General spoke by telephone today with H.E. Ms. Park Geun-hye after her inauguration as the 18th President of the Republic of Korea (ROK). He thanked the President for her warm reception of the Deputy Secretary-General, who attended the inauguration ceremony as his Special Envoy, and also of the Executive Director of UN Women, Michelle Bachelet.
The Secretary-General and President Park discussed ways to further deepen cooperation between the United Nations and the Republic of Korea. The Secretary-General looked forward to ROK’s continued support for the United Nations and its active role in the areas of peacekeeping, addressing the climate change challenge, sustainable development and promoting global education. The Secretary-General appreciated the ROK’s constructive role in dealing with a number of regional conflicts as a non-permanent member of the Security Council.
Regarding the situation on the Korean peninsula, the Secretary-General expressed serious concerns about Pyongyang’s recent provocations, particularly its recent nuclear test. Voicing his support for the “Korean Peninsula Peace Process” envisioned by President Park, the Secretary-General expressed his strong commitment to work with the new Government of the Republic of Korea in promoting peace and stability on the Korean peninsula, including through addressing nuclear, humanitarian and other concerns regarding the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
Readouts on 27 February 2013
- Vienna - Readout of the Secretary-General's telephone call with H. E. Mr. Mwai Kibaki, President of the Republic of Kenya
- Vienna - Readout of the Secretary-General's meeting with the President of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Vienna - Readout of the Secretary-General's meeting with the Foreign Minister of the Republic of Armenia
- Vienna - Readout of Secretary-General's meeting with the Foreign Minister of Spain
- Vienna - Readout of Secretary-General's meeting with the Foreign Minister of Iran
- Vienna - Readout of the Secretary-General’s meeting with H.H. Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, Emir of Qatar