The Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 1718 (2006) was established on 14 October 2006 to oversee the relevant sanctions measures and to undertake the tasks set out in paragraph 12 of that same resolution. Additional functions were entrusted by the Council to the Committee in resolutions 1874 (2009), 2087 (2013) and 2094 (2013).
By its resolutions 1718 (2006), 1874 (2009), 2087 (2013) and 2094 (2013), the Council imposed certain measures relating to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK). These measures include:
- an arms embargo (which also encompasses a ban on related financial transactions, technical training, services or assistance), with the exception of the provision by States to the DPRK of small arms and light weapons and their related materiel, on which States are required to notify the Committee in advance;
- a nuclear, ballistic missiles and other weapons of mass destruction programs-related embargo; (lists of the items prohibited can be found here)
- a ban on the export of luxury goods to the DPRK (including those items listed in Annex IV of resolution 2094 (2013);
- individual targeted sanctions – namely, a travel ban and/or an assets freeze on designated persons and entities, as well as on any persons or entities acting on behalf of such designated persons or entities; and (a consolidated list of designated entities and individuals can be found here), (an informal compilation of the original script of designated entities and individuals can be found here)
- a ban on the provision of financial services or the transfer of financial or other assets, including bulk cash, that could contribute to prohibited programs or activities, or to the evasion of sanctions.
In resolution 1874 (2009), the Council provided for the creation of a Panel of Experts, for an initial period of one year, to carry out certain tasks under the direction of the Committee. The Security Council extended the mandate of the Panel of Experts by paragraph 1 of resolution 1928 (2010) until 12 June 2011, by paragraph 1 of resolution 1985 (2011) until 12 June 2012, by paragraph 1 of resolution 2050 (2012) until 12 July 2013, by paragraph 29 of resolution 2094 (2013) until 7 April 2014 and by paragraph 1 of resolution 2141 (2014) until 5 April 2015. The Council also expressed its intent to review the current mandate and to take appropriate action regarding further extension no later than 5 March 2015. Under this mandate, the Panel is to provide to the Committee a planned programme of work by 5 May 2014. The Panel is requested to provide by 5 August 2014 a midterm report on its work and, after a discussion with the Committee, submit this report to the Council by 5 September 2014. The Panel is also to provide to the Committee a final report with its findings and recommendations by 5 February 2015 and, after a discussion with the Committee, submit this final report to the Council by 5 March 2015.
In resolution 2094 (2013), the Council affirmed that it shall keep the DPRK’s actions under continuous review and that it shall be prepared to strengthen, modify, suspend or lift the measures as may be needed in light of the DPRK’s compliance. The Council also expressed its determination to take further measures in the event of a further DPRK launch or nuclear test.
Resolutions 1718 (2006), 1874 (2009), 2087 (2013) and 2094 (2013) call upon all Member States to submit reports on their implementation of the resolutions.
On 20 June 2007, the Committee adopted guidelines for the conducts of its work. On 9 April 2013, the Committee approved and issued an updated Implementation Assistance Notice to assist Member States in carrying out their obligations pursuant to provisions of Security Council resolutions 1718 (2006), 1874 (2009), 2087 (2013) and 2094 (2013). Updated guidelines on the preparation and submission of national implementation reports (Implementation Assistance Notice No. 2) were approved on 22 October 2013, updated guidelines for the implementation of measures regarding "Luxury Goods" (Implementation Assistance Notice No. 3) 25 June 2013 and guidelines for the implementation of “catch all” provisions in paragraph 22 of resolution 2094 (2013) (Implementation Assistance Notice No. 4) were approved on 7 February 2014. A Fact Sheet compiling certain measures imposed by the Security Council in resolutions 1718 (2006), 1874 (2009), 2087 (2013) and 2094 (2013) was approved on 24 June 2013. For selected documents related to the Committee’s work, click here.
The current Chair of the Committee, for the period ending 31 December 2014, is Her Excellency Ms. Sylvie Lucas (Luxembourg). The two Vice-Chairs for 2014 are Chad and Jordan.