The List established and maintained by the Committee
pursuant to resolutions 1267 (1999) and 1989 (2011)
with respect to individuals, groups, undertakings
and other entities associated with Al-Qaida
Click Button for:
Click Button for:
Click Button for:
I. General information
The Committee established pursuant to Security Council resolution 1267 (1999) (hereafter referred to as the Committee) is a Security Council subsidiary organ that oversees the implementation by Member States of the three sanctions measures (assets freeze, travel ban and arms embargo) imposed against targeted individuals and entities associated with Al-Qaida, as designated by the Committee in its Sanctions List.
In order to streamline implementation of all Security Council Sanctions Lists, the Al-Qaida Sanctions List was recently modified to make it compatible with a new List format designed for all Sanctions Committees. The key modification in the new Al-Qaida list is a newer permanent referencing system that is harmonized with all other United Nations Sanctions Lists. The new version of the List is available here and a detailed explanation of how the referencing system has been changed is provided here.
Effective 1 March 2015, the Al-Qaida Sanctions List prepared based on the previous format will no longer be available on the Committee’s website and will be replaced by the modified new version referred above, as harmonized with all other United Nations Sanctions Lists.
For all comments and questions concerning all sanctions lists, including the Consolidated United Nations Sanctions List, kindly contact the Secretariat via the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
II. Composition of the list
The Al-Qaida Sanctions List consists of two sections, specified below:
- Individuals associated with Al-Qaida (229 individuals)
- Entities and other groups and undertakings associated with the Al-Qaida (71 entities)
All names and identifying information on the Al-Qaida Sanctions List have been submitted to the Committee by United Nations Member States and international organizations. Individuals are listed alphabetically by their family name/surname/last name as it appears in Latin script. Entities are also arranged in alphabetical order. All geographical locations are reproduced as submitted and are cited without prejudice to their political or legal status. Narrative summaries of reasons for listing, where available, can also be found on the Committee’s website. Members States are strongly encouraged, wherever possible, to submit to the Committee, through their Permanent Missions to the United Nations in New York, any relevant information not currently included on the Al-Qaida Sanctions List.
The Al-Qaida Sanctions List maintained on this website was last updated on 26 June 2015, and supersedes all previous versions. Further changes will be made to the Al-Qaida Sanctions List immediately following the relevant decision of the Committee. A press release documenting such changes will also be issued and posted in the "Press releases" section. The List is available in the PDF, XML and HTML formats.
III. Identifiers and acronyms in the list
The Al-Qaida Sanctions List has several fields for identifiers. Where information is lacking, the letters "na" (not available) denote that the Committee has not yet been able to obtain it. Explanations of the fields used in the Al-Qaida Sanctions List are provided below.
- Permanent reference number.
- Name 1, Name 2, Name 3, Name 4: Four separate name fields have been provided in order to accommodate the full range of naming conventions used in all cultures. For example, for Arabic names, Name 1 is the individual's first name/given name, Name 2 is the name of the individual's father, Name 3 is the name of the individual's grandfather and Name 4 is the individual's family name/surname/last name (if known).
In many instances, individuals included in the List are represented by less than four names. There are several possible reasons for this, such as: a) information regarding some parts of the complete name is unavailable; or b) the naming convention used for that individual does not employ all four components. Users should bear in mind that there is no universal standard for transliterating Arabic and other names into Latin characters. This can result in a number of variations in spelling. Cross referencing names with other elements of the information contained in the List and searching for different possible spellings of the same name is therefore highly recommended.
- Name (original script): Name as it would appear in the original script (e.g. Arabic, Cyrillic, Farsi/Dari, etc.)
- Title: Honorary, professional, religious or other title (current or last held).
- Designation: Official title/position/occupation.
- DOB: Date of birth, including alternative date(s) of birth.
- POB: Place of birth, including alternative place(s) of birth.
- Good quality a.k.a.: Alias(es) (also known as) sufficient for a positive identification. Note that names in this field are not separated as Name 1, 2, 3, 4 but are listed as full names.
- Low quality a.k.a.: Alias(es) (also known as) probably insufficient alone for a positive identification.
- Nationality: previous or current nationality or citizenship.
- Passport no.: Passport, travel or substitute/auxiliary document number(s).
- National identification no.: such as ID card numbers, Social Security numbers, Fiscal Code or Tax Identification numbers
- Address: permanent, temporary or previous residence(s) or address(es) for correspondence.
- Listed on: date on which the Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee placed the individual on the Al-Qaida Sanctions List and of any amendments it made regarding the listed individual.
- Other information: Supplementary information relevant to identification of the individual.
- Permanent reference number.
- Name: name of entity and any acronyms.
- Name (original script): name as it would appear in the original script (e.g. Arabic, Cyrillic, Farsi/Dari,)
- A.k.a.: Alias(es) (also known as) and any acronyms.
- F.k.a.: formerly known as and any acronyms.
- Address: Address(es) where entity is domiciled or registered or has branch(es)/office(s) or correspondence address(es).
- Listed on: date on which the Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee placed the entity on the Al-Qaida Sanctions List and of any amendments it made regarding the listed entity.
- Other information: Supplementary information relevant to identification of the entity.