Guinea-Bissau

Guinea-Bissau

8 November 2017
SC/13062

On 12 September 2017, the Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 2048 (2012) concerning Guinea-Bissau held informal consultations to consider the Secretary-General’s report on progress made with regards to stabilization and restoration of constitutional order in Guinea-Bissau, submitted pursuant paragraph 19 of resolution 2267 (2016).

11 October 2017
SC/13025

On 17 July 2017, the Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 2048 (2012) concerning Guinea-Bissau held informal consultations to hear a briefing from the Chair on his visit to Guinea-Bissau between 13 and 15 June, and to consider the proposed actions on the way forward.

13 September 2017
SC/12988

Expressing deep concern about the political impasse in Guinea-Bissau, the Security Council today called upon the West African nation’s leaders to engage in genuine dialogue, find common ground and implement the Conakry Agreement of 14 October 2016, including by appointing a consensus Prime Minister, as required by that accord.

12 September 2017
BIO/5014

The new Permanent Representative of Guinea-Bissau to the United Nations, Fernando Delfim da Silva, presented his credentials to UN Secretary-General António Guterres today.

7 September 2017

Irina Bokova, Director-General of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), condemned the killing of Indian journalist Gauri Lankesh, shot outside her home on Tuesday.  Ms. Lankesh, editor and publisher of a Kannada-language weekly, was an outspoken critic of right-wing extremism.

25 August 2017

The United Nations Human Rights Office confirmed that 33 civilians in Yemen were killed and 25 injured in the 23 August air strike by coalition forces that hit a hotel in Sana’a Governorate, one of several coalition air strikes that day, which resulted in deaths.  Witnesses said there had been no warnings of an attack.

24 August 2017
SC/12966

Only by fulfilling the minimum conditions of the Conakry Agreement could Guinea-Bissau make progress towards breaking its years-long political crisis, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative told the Security Council today, calling for better coordinated, sustained international involvement.

23 May 2017
SG/A/1734-BIO/4969

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres announced today the appointment of David McLachlan-Karr of Australia as his new Deputy Special Representative in Guinea-Bissau.  Mr. McLachlan-Karr will also serve as United Nations Resident Coordinator and Resident Representative of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Guinea-Bissau.

11 May 2017
SC/12818

The following Security Council press statement was issued today by Council President Elbio Rosselli (Uruguay):

23 February 2017
SC/12732

The Security Council extended the mandate of the United Nations Integrated Peacebuilding Office in Guinea-Bissau (UNIOGBIS) for one year today, reaffirming its full commitment to the consolidation of peace and stability in that country.

14 February 2017
SC/12717

Any breakthrough in the institutional crisis gripping Guinea-Bissau would be short-lived if the structural causes of instability were not addressed, the senior United Nations official in the West African country told the Security Council today, urging national actors to implement the Conakry Agreement signed last year to surmount the political impasse.

14 February 2017

Ali Al-Za’atari, the United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Syria, urged all parties to grant immediate access to the besieged towns of Zabadani, Foah, Kefraya and Madaya, where 60,000 civilians are trapped by daily violence and deprivation.  They have not received aid since 28 November.