Approximately 589,000 Rohingya refugees have fled Myanmar for Bangladesh since 25 August, with the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) saying today that nearly 7,000 Rohingya refugees have been admitted to Bangladesh after being stranded at the border for up to four days.
Central African Republic
Central African Republic
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) urged Australia to address the imminent humanitarian crisis for refugees and asylum seekers in Papua New Guinea, stressing his profound concern over the risks of “offshore processing” arrangements, for which Australia seeks to decrease support by the end of October.
Concluding a visit to the Central African Republic, Adama Dieng, Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide, told press in Bangui that those responsible for atrocities and those instrumental in inciting ethnic and religious hatred would be held responsible and would have to face justice.
On 6 September 2017, the Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 2127 (2013) concerning the Central African Republic held its first open briefing since its establishment to all Member States on the midterm report of the Panel of Experts on the Central African Republic and on national implementation of sanctions measures by regional States. The meeting was held in pursuance of paragraph 20 of resolution 2339 (2017), by which the Security Council encouraged the Chair to hold regular consultations with concerned Member States, international and regional and subregional organizations, in particular neighbouring and regional States, in order to ensure full implementation of sanctions measures.
An upsurge of violence in the Central African Republic has caused a 50 per cent increase in the number of internally displaced people this year to a total of nearly 600,000. Fighting has engulfed territories that had been relatively stable, including Basse-Kotto, Mbomou and Haut-Mbomou, with almost 70 per cent of the country now in the hands of armed groups.
The United Nations Human Rights Office confirmed that 33 civilians in Yemen were killed and 25 injured in the 23 August air strike by coalition forces that hit a hotel in Sana’a Governorate, one of several coalition air strikes that day, which resulted in deaths. Witnesses said there had been no warnings of an attack.
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres announced today the appointment of Kenneth Gluck of the United States as his Deputy Special Representative and Deputy Head of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA).
The World Food Programme (WFP) is delivering emergency supplies to some 200,000 people in northwest Bangladesh after massive floods inundated more than half the country. Many survivors have lost everything. Nearly 7 million people have been affected by the floods; more than 580,000 hectares of crop land has been destroyed.
In Afghanistan, the United Nations Mission there has verified allegations that Taliban and local self-proclaimed Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant/Daesh fighters killed at least 36 people, including civilians, during an attack on 5 August in the Mirza Olang village of Sari Pul province. The Mission’s findings were released as part of its human rights report.
Emergency Relief Coordinator Stephen O’Brien told the Security Council he was aggrieved that despite his team’s best efforts over two years, the deplorable and avoidable man-made catastrophe ravaging Yemen has seen no significant improvement. On the contrary, the suffering has intensified relentlessly.
Filippo Grandi paid his first official visit to Sudan as High Commissioner this week, with refugees continuing to flee the brutal conflict in South Sudan. Sudan has hosted more than 416,000 South Sudanese since 2013, including some 170,000 new arrivals in 2017, as well as refugees from Eritrea, Syria, Yemen and Chad.
On 21 July 2017, during its informal consultations with the Panel of Experts, the Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 2127 (2013) concerning the Central African Republic drew attention to the recommendation contained in paragraph 127 (d) of the midterm report of the Panel of Experts on the Central African Republic dated 26 July 2017 (document S/2017/639), which is available on the Committee’s website.
On 21 July 2017, the Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 2127 (2013) concerning the Central African Republic held informal consultations to consider the midterm report of the Panel of Experts submitted pursuant to paragraph 28 (c) of resolution 2339 (2017).
The United Nations Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic says it started an operation this week to remove armed fighters from Bangassou, epicentre of recent interethnic violence that resulted in the displacement of more than 2,000 civilians and the killing of three peacekeepers.
The United Nations has allocated $10.5 million to help people in need of life‑saving humanitarian assistance in north-east Nigeria. The humanitarian crisis there and in the Lake Chad region is among the most severe in the world today, with 8.5 million in need of humanitarian assistance in the three worst‑affected Nigerian States of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) said today it is deeply concerned about the risk of further violence in Venezuela, where constituent assembly elections will be held on Sunday. It also expressed concern that demonstrations seen as disturbing the constituent assembly elections have been banned until 1 August.
The following statement was issued today by the Spokesman for UN Secretary-General António Guterres:
High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad al Hussein announced today the appointment of Bacre Ndiaye from Senegal, Luc Côté from Canada and Fatimata M’Baye from Mauritania as international experts on the situation in the Kasaï region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, mandated by the Human Rights Council.
The following Security Council press statement was issued today by Council President Liu Jieyi (China):
Filippo Grandi, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, called today for an immediate end to Australia’s off-shore processing of refugees, saying the harmful practice, carried out in Papua New Guinea and Nauru, denies access to asylum in Australia and has caused extensive, avoidable suffering for far too long.
- Page 1