|Department of Public Information • News and Media Division • New York|
Note to Correspondents
Secretary-General Appoints Advisory Board of United Nations Capital Master Plan
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has appointed the Chairperson and five members of the Advisory Board of the Capital Master Plan (CMP).
· Kent Barwick ( United States), President of the Municipal Art Society of New York, will serve as Board Chairperson.
The five members are:
· Susan Njeri Kibue ( Kenya), Associate Dean, School of Architecture and Building Science, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Nairobi;
· Stefan Kuryłowicz ( Poland), Chairman of the Board, Kuryłowicz & Associates Architecture Studio, Warsaw;
· K.T. Ravindran ( India), Head, Department of Urban Design, School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi;
· Anna Torriani ( Switzerland), Partner, Atelier Pagnamenta Torriani, New York; and
· Jayme Zettel ( Brazil), Architect, Vice-President, Fundação Oscar Niemeyer, Rio de Janeiro.
Michael Adlerstein, Assistant Secretary-General and Executive Director, CMP, will serve as an ex-officio member.
The appointments are effective from 1 January 2010.
Mandated by the General Assembly, most recently in document A/RES/63/270, the Advisory Board will advise the Secretary-General on the review and consideration of all aspects of the historic renovation of United Nations Headquarters, including policy guidance on CMP operations and activities, funding and support. The Board is supposed to meet at least once each quarter at Headquarters in New York.
While the Chairperson was nominated by the host country, each member was selected from one of the five regional groups. The Chairperson and members, who serve in their personal capacity and not as representatives of a Government or any other authority external to the United Nations, were appointed for two years.
* *** *