|Department of Public Information • News and Media Division • New York|
New Permanent Representative of Liberia Presents Credentials
(Based on information provided by the Protocol and Liaison Service.)
The new Permanent Representative of Liberia to the United Nations, Marjon V. Kamara presented her credentials today to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
Prior to her appointment, Ms. Kamara was Director in Geneva of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) for Africa, a position she held from October 2005 to May 2009. She was Director of UNHCR’s Division of Operational Support from July 2001 to October 2005. Between April 1998 and June 2001, she served as UNHCR’s Representative to the United Republic of Tanzania, having previously occupied the same post from September 1994 to March 1998 in Angola.
Also in UNHCR, Ms. Kamara was Senior Administrative Officer for the Regional Bureau for Africa, in Geneva, from October 1990 to August 1994. She served as Acting Representative and Deputy Representative for UNHCR’s branch office in Uganda for one year, from October 1989 to October 1990.
In the years before that, she occupied several posts within UNHCR’s Uganda office, from July 1986 until September 1989. Prior to that, she worked as an Associate Programme Officer at the UNHCR office in Ethiopia, from October 1983 until June 1986.
Shortly after graduating with a master’s degree in political science from Western Michigan University in 1973, Ms. Kamara held numerous Government posts within Liberia’s Ministry for Foreign Affairs, from September 1974 until July 1980, including as Research Officer in the Bureau of African and Asian Affairs, and then Director of that Bureau, and later, Assistant Minister/Special Assistant to the Foreign Affairs Minister.
She received her Bachelor of Arts degree in political science (with an emphasis on international relations), also from Western Michigan University, in December 1970. She graduated High School from Saint Theresa’s Convent in December 1966.
Ms. Kamara was born in Monrovia, Liberia on 13 August 1949.
* *** *