Delivering on and Implementing a Transformative Post-2015 Development Agenda
Theme and priorities of the 69th Session
On June 11, 2014 the President of the 69th Session of the General Assembly, in his Acceptance Speech, chose the theme: “Delivering on and implementing a Transformative Post-2015 Development Agenda,” for the 69th session.
The President of the General Assembly also outlined seven priority areas for the session namely:
- the post-2015 development agenda;
- combatting climate change;
- advancing gender equality and empowerment of women;
- strengthening cooperation between the UN and regional organizations;
- peaceful settlement of disputes and peacebuilding;
- revitalization of the General Assembly and reform of the Security Council;
- enhancing the role of the UN Alliance of Civilizations.
High-level Event and Thematic Debates
By its resolution 67/297, the General Assembly recognized “the value of holding interactive, inclusive thematic debates on current issues of critical importance to the international community” and “invited the President of the General assembly to continue this practice.
The President will convene high-level thematic debates and events that will focus on the theme and the priorities for the 69th session. The main objective of the high-level thematic debates and event is to enable Member States and stakeholders to have in -depth exchange of views, in an interactive and participatory manner.
These meetings will contribute towards the formulation of the post-2015 development agenda and the mobilization of means for its implementation, while fully recognizing the mandated intergovernmental processes.
- High-Level Thematic Debate on Means of Implementation for a Transformative Post-2015 development agenda (9-10 February)
- High-Level Thematic Debate on Advancing Gender equality and empowerment of Women in the Post-2015 development agenda (6 March 2015)
- High-Level Thematic Debate on Promoting Tolerance and Reconciliation (21-22 April 2015)
- High-Level Thematic Debate on Strengthening Cooperation between the UN and regional and sub-regional organizations (4 May 2015)
- High-Level Event on Climate Change (29 June 2015)
The High-level thematic debates and Event will consist of an opening segment, two interactive, multi-stakeholder panel discussions, and a closing segment.
The outcome for each of the debates and event will be a President’s summary.
Member States will be invited to participate at the highest possible level, as well as Observers, UN Agencies, and other stakeholders.