The United Nations Office for Partnerships serves as a gateway for collaboration
between the private sector, foundations, and the United Nations family.
It promotes new partnerships and alliances in furtherance of the Millennium
Development Goals and provides support to new initiatives of the Secretary-General.
UNOP oversees three areas:
The United Nations Fund for International Partnerships (UNFIP), established by the Secretary-General in March 1998 to serve as the interface for the partnership between the United Nations system and the United Nations Foundation - the public charity responsible for administering Ted Turner's $1 billion contribution in support of UN causes. UNFIP is supervised by Ms. Shari Klugman, the Chief Operating Officer.
The United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF), established by the Secretary-General in July 2005, which supports democratization throughout the world focusing on democratic institutions, promoting human rights, and ensuring the participation of all groups in democratic processes. UNDEF is overseen by Mr. Roland Rich, the Executive Head.
Partnership Advisory Services and Outreach to a variety of entities, including academic institutions, companies, foundations, government agencies and civil society organizations. Investment in high-impact initiatives is encouraged by:
- Advising on UN procedures and best practices;
- Assisting in the design of programmes and projects;
- Helping establish and, in some cases, manage global and regional networks;
- Advocating use of the MDGs as a framework for action.
Our Leadership Mission
Our leadership mission, through the scope of these three branches, is:
- To promote new United Nations partnerships and alliances: Serve as a gateway to engage corporations, foundations and civil society to achieve the MDGs.
- To act as the interface between the UN Foundation and the United Nations system: Facilitate the development of high-impact programmes for channelling UNF and other partner funds into the UN system.
- To serve as an institutional hub for the United Nations Democracy Fund: Provide management oversight and administrative services to the Fund's operations.