Addressing global challenges requires a collective and concerted effort, involving all actors. Through partnerships and alliances, and by pooling comparative advantages, we increase our chances success."
- Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General
Health and Education
- A woman living in sub-Saharan Africa has a 1 in 16 chance of dying in pregnancy. This compares with a 1 in 3,700 risk for a woman from North America (“fast facts: the faces of poverty”)
- Every 30 seconds, an African child dies of malaria – more than one million child deaths a year (“Fast facts: faces of poverty”)
- Based on current trends, the number of children orphaned by AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa will exceed 18 million by 2010 (“Fast facts: faces of poverty”)
- In Africa, girls account for 55 percent of the approximately 40 million primary school-aged children who are not enrolled in school (Education in Africa Initiative, USAID website, 10 May 07)