The United Nations currently offers Member States technical assistance
in connection with a range of legal matters. Such assistance
includes the provision of advice, expertise, research, analysis,
training or other assistance in connection with, inter
- Completion of necessary treaty formalities in relation to
becoming party to a treaty;
- Preparation of national legislation and drafting
or reviewing of national laws aimed at ensuring compliance
with international legal obligations or implementing United Nations
- Drafting of non-legislative texts (such as arbitration rules)
based on United Nations texts; and
familiarity with and appreciation of international law.
technical assistance programmes are undertaken in accordance
with the mandate of each respective department, office, agency, fund or programme
and within the existing financial resources
allocated for such purposes under their respective programme
This site is maintained by the United Nations Office of Legal
Affairs. The responsibility for the information on web sites
linked from this site rests with the respective department, office, agency, fund or programme.
How to navigate through this Website
links in the left frame of the screen.
If you want to have an overview of the various areas of Legal Technical Assistance provided by the United Nations, click on:
- 'Department', if you know the name of the department, office, agency, fund or programme about which you need information, otherwise on
- 'Subject matter', to be directed to the summary of the department, office, agency, fund or programme competent in the area of your interest.
If you want to directly access the Legal Technical Assistance Webpages maintained by the various departments, offices, agencies,
funds or programmes, click on "Select a Webpage".
Please note that the Legal Technical Assistance Website, which is maintained by the Office of Legal Affairs, is still under development.