FINAL PROGRAMME FOR HIGH LEVEL INTERACTIVE DIALOGUE ON WATER - INTERNATIONAL DECADE FOR ACTION “WATER FOR LIFE: 2005-2015”
22 March 2010, Trusteeship Council Chamber.
09h00-09h40 Opening Segment
- H.E.Ali Abdussalam Treki, President of the General Assembly
- H.E. Asha-Rose Migiro, Deputy Secretary-General, United Nations
- H.E. Akil Ghaibullayevich Akilov, Prime Minister of Tajikistan
09h45-10h00 Special Presentation by H.E. Sha Zhukang, Under-Secretary-General, Department of Economic and Social Affairs.
10h00-10h15 Video link to the celebrations on World Water Day in Nairobi
- Achim Steiner, Executive Director of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- His Royal Highness, Prince Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands
10h15-10h45 Panel I: Water and Millennium Development Goals
Moderator: H.E. Jan Eliasson, President of the 60th Session of the United Nations General Assembly and
Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Sweden.
- H.E. Ms. Buyelwa Patience Sonjica, Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs, South Africa, Chair of the African Ministers Council on Water (AMCOW)
- H.E. Ambassador Mohamed Mijarul Quayes, Foreign Secretary of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
- Mr. Richard A. Grainier, CEO Hestiun Environment
11h35-12h15 Panel II: Water, climate change and disasters
Moderator: H.E. Mr. Jorge Jurado M., Minister for Water of Ecuador
- H.E. Abdelkebir Zahoud, State Secretary for Water and Environment, Ministry of Energy, Mines, Water and Environment of Morocco
- Mr. Salvano Briceño, Director, United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (ISDR), Geneva
- Ms. Barbara Frost, Executive Director of WaterAid, United Kingdom
15h00-15h45 Panel III: Water and peace and security
Moderator: Dr. Mahmoud ABU-ZEID, President of Arab Water Council and Former Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation of Egypt
- H.E. Mr. João Gomes Cravinho, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of Portugal
- Mr. Jan Kubis, Under-Secreary-General and Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, Coordinator of the Regional Commissions.
- Mr. Olcay Ünver, Coordinator of the UN-Water’s World Water Assessment Programme (WWAP) (UNESCO)
17h00 Closing Segment