NOTE ATTRIBUTABLE TO THE SPOKESPERSON OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
United Nations, New York, 22 March 2010
2010 World Water Day
The President of the General Assembly, H.E. Dr. Ali Abdussalam Treki presided over today in New York a high-level interactive dialogue on the implementation of the International Decade for Action, “Water for Life”, 2005-2015, and the realization of the internationally agreed water-related goals.
On the occasion of the World Water Day, President Treki met separately with the following officials:
- H.E. Akil Akilov, Prime Minister of Tajikistan;
- H.E. Jorge Jurado, Minister for Water of Ecuador;
- H.E. Abdelkebir Zahoud, Secretary of State to the Ministry of Energy, Mines, Water and the Environment, Morocco;
- H.E. Jan Eliasson, President of the sixtieth session of the General Assembly, and former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Sweden;
- Mr. Olcay Ünver, Coordinator, United Nations World Water Assessment Programme (WWAP) of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO); and
- Ms. Barbara Frost, Executive Director of WaterAid, United Kingdom;
On the same day, President Treki, together with the Prime Minister of Tajikistan and Mr. Jan Eliasson, held a press conference. Dr. Treki also attended a lunch hosted by Friends of the United Nations and sponsored by the Environment Division of Hestiun on the theme “Global Water Security”, with the participation of the diplomatic community, the United Nations family, Non-Governmental organizations, the private sector and civil society organizations. Concluding a day of events, the President of the General Assembly participated in the opening of a photographic exhibition hosted by the Permanent Mission of Tajikistan to the United Nations.