Review of the Peacebuilding Commission
The 2005 World Summit Outcome resolution decided to establish the Peacebuilding Commission as an intergovernmental advisory body. The PBC was created:
a) to bring together all relevant actors to marshal resources and to advise on and propose integrated strategies for post-conflict peacebuilding and recovery;
b) to focus attention on the reconstruction and institution-building efforts necessary for recovery from conflict and to support the development of integrated strategies in order to lay the foundation for sustainable development
c) to provide recommendations and information to improve the coordination of all relevant actors within and outside th United Nations, to develop best practices, to help to ensure predictable financing for early recovery activities and to extend the period of attention given by the international community to post-conflict recovery.
Comprised of members from the Security Council, Troop Contributing Countries, ECOSOC representatives, top providers of assessed contributions and voluntary contributions to UN funds, programmes and agencies and members of the General Assembly, the Peacebuilding Commission has a unique membership which bridges peace, security, and development.
According to the founding resolutions, the arrangements "will be reviewed five years after the adoption of the present resolution to ensure that they are appropriate to fulfill the agreed functions of the Commission and that such a review and any changes as a result thereof will be decided following the same procedure as set out in paragraph 1."
Review of the United Nations Peacebuilding Architecture
- Letter from Facilitators dated 19 July 2010
- Review of the United Nations Peacebuilding Architecture
- Executive Summary
- General Assembly resolution on operationalizing the Peacebuilding Commission (A/RES/60/180)
- Security Council resolution on operationalizing the Peacebuilding Commission (S/RES/1645(2005))
- Report of the Secretary-General on peacebuilding in the immediate aftermath of conflict (A/63/881-S/2009/304)
- The Peacebuilding Fund – Report of the Secretary-General (A/64/217-S/2009/419)
- Letter dated 24 June 2010
- Some Emerging Recommendations (24 June 2010)
- Letter dated 1 April 2010
- Letter dated 29 March 2010
- Facilitators emerging issues paper (29 March 2010)
- Letter dated 5 February 2010
Statements by the PGA
- Statement by the PGA at the 2010 review of the Peacebuilding Commission informal consultation (17 February 2010)
- Statement by the PGA at the first meeting on the 2010 Review of the PBC (20 November 2009)