Commission on Financial Reforms
The Commission of Experts of the President of the UN General Assembly on Reforms of the International Monetary and Financial System
Following the break out of the financial crisis that originated, in 2008, in the most advanced countries, and then spread over to the emerging economies and less developed countries, the President of the United Nations General Assembly convened a panel of experts to discuss the large array of issues related to it.
In the same breath, the President of the United Nations General Assembly established a Commission of Experts whose mandate is to reflect on the causes of the crisis, assess impacts on all countries and suggest adequate responses as to avoid its recurrence and restore global economic stability.
The Commission will seek to identify the broad principles underlying needed institutional reforms required to ensure sustained global economic progress and stability which will be of benefit to all countries, developed and less developed. It will suggest a range of credible and feasible proposals for reforming the international monetary and financial system, in the broad interest of the international community, and identify and evaluate the merits and limitations of alternatives that are at the center of current global debate.
The Commission will thus produce a report on recommendations to be considered in the preparatory process leading to the Conference at the highest level on the world financial and economic crisis and its impact on development called for in the final document adopted at Doha in December 2008 (resolution A/RES/63/239).
[Use the menu in the box on the right for more information about the Commission]
- Report of the Commission of Experts of the President of the United Nations General Assembly on Reforms of the International Monetary and Financial System [PDF] (21 September 2009)
- The Preliminary Draft of the Full Report of the Commission of Experts on Reforms of the International Monetary and Financial System (21 May 2009)
- Therecommendations of the Commission of Experts of the President of the General Assembly on Reforms of the International Monetary and Financial System (20 March 2009)
- Interactive Thematic Dialogue of the UN General Assembly on the World Financial and Economic Crisis and Its Impact on Development (25-27 March 2009)
- The Interactive Panel of the United Nations General Assembly on the Global Financial Crisis (30 October 2008)
- Follow-up International Conference on Financing for Development to Review the Implementation of the Monterrey Consensus will be convened in Doha, Qatar (29 November- 2 December 2008)