The 2008 comprehensive review of the progress achieved in realizing the Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS and the Political Declaration on HIV/AIDS
The General Assembly agreed at its 60th Session in its Political Declaration on HIV/AIDS 60/262 to “undertake comprehensive reviews in 2008 and 2011, within the annual reviews of the General Assembly, of the progress achieved in realizing the Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS, entitled “Global Crisis – Global Action”, adopted by the General Assembly at its twenty-sixth special session, and the present Declaration.”
In its resolution 62/178 adopted on 19 December 2007, the General Assembly decided to convene the 2008 high-level meeting on 10 - 11 June at United Nations headquarters in New York. The resolution requested the President of the General Assembly, with support from UNAIDS and in consultation with Member States, to finalize the arrangements for the high-level meeting. These arrangements are contained in Information Notes issued by the President on 11 April and 15 May 2008.
The Secretary-General’s report (A/62/780), which is based on submissions of national reports by 147 Member States, has been issued. The report provides a comprehensive and analytical focus on progress achieved and challenges remaining in realizing the commitments set out in the Declaration of Commitment and the Political Declaration.
In accordance with General Assembly resolution 62/178, the outcome of the high-level meeting will be a Presidential Summary, reflecting the views expressed during the discussions on the progress made, challenges remaining and sustainable ways to overcome them.
NGO AND CIVIL SOCIETY STATEMENTS
- 10 June 08: Press Conference: General Assembly President, Srgjan Kerim; Dr. Anthony Fauci from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases; and Ratri Suksma from the Coordination of Action Research on AIDS and Mobility (CARAM) Asia, to brief on the General Assembly High-level Meeting on AIDS.
[Webcast: Archived Video - 33 minutes ]
- 10 - 11 June 08: High-level meeting on the Comprehensive Review of the progress achieved in realizing the Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS and the Political Declaration on HIV/AIDS [Webcast: Archived Video]
- 10 June 08: UNESCO / Luncheon side event to the UN High-Level Meeting on HIV and AIDS. [Webcast: Archived Video - English: 1 hour and 29 minutes ]
- Report of the Secretary General
- General Assembly decision on invitation of Civil Society Representatives to participate in the HLM
- List of Civil Society Representatives invited to participate in the HLM
- General Assembly resolution 62/178
- 2006 Political Declaration on HIV/AIDS
- 2001 Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS
SPEECHES AND MESSAGES
- Letter to all Permanent Missions and Permanent Observer Missions to the United Nations transmitting the 2nd information note for the HLM on HIV/AIDS . (15 May)
- Letter to all Permanent Missions and Permanent Observer Missions to the United Nations regarding Chairs of Panel discussions during the high-level meeting on HIV/AIDS. (18 April)
- Letter to all Permanent Missions and Permanent Observer Missions to the United Nations transmitting an informaton note and draft programme for the HLM on HIV/AIDS . (11 April)
- Letter to all Permanent Missions and Permanent Observer Missions to the United Nations on the High-level Meeting on HIV/AIDS. (20 February)