EMILIO LÈBRE LA ROVERE
Brazilian and Italian, born in Rio de Janeiro on May 19th, 1954, married, 3 children, fluent in French, English, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese (mother language)
- Graduated in Electrical Engineering, specialization in Systems and Industrial Engineering, by the Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (1975)
- Graduated in Economics, by the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (1976)
- M.Sc. in Systems Engineering, by COPPE/UFRJ - Institute for Research and Graduate Studies of Engineering, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (1977)
- Ph.D. in Economics, by the School of High Studies in Social Sciences, University of Paris, France (1980)
- Worked in the Energy Department of FINEP - Agency for Financing Studies, Research and Development Projects of the Brazilian Federal Government, from 1975 to 1988 (Head of the Department, from 1986 to 1988)
- Professor of the Energy Planning Program at COPPE/UFRJ (associated from 1982 to 1988, full-time from 1988 until today, Head of the department in 1995-1996 and of the M.Sc./Ph.D. Environmental Planning Course,1988-97)
- Coordinator of the Environmental Sciences Laboratory at COPPE/UFRJ
- Executive Coordinator of the Center for Integrated Studies on Climate Change and the Environment at COPPE/UFRJ
- Lecturing the course on Energy and Environment for undergraduate students of Environmental Engineering at UFRJ
- Lecturing courses on Energy, Environment and Development; Environmental Impacts of Energy Projects; Environmental Pollution; for M.Sc. students of Energy and Environmental Planning at COPPE/UFRJ
- Lecturing courses on Environmental Management Tools; Climate Change and Greenhouse Gases I; Climate Change and Greenhouse Gases II; Risk Analysis and Management; for Ph.D students of Energy and Environmental Planning at COPPE/UFRJ
- Lecturing the module on Environmental Management Tools at the MBA course on Environment at COPPE/UFRJ
- Lecturing taylor-made courses on Climate Change Impacts, Adaptation and Mitigation, Carbon Trade and Clean Development Mechanism projects for governmental bodies and firms in Brazil and abroad
- Lead author of IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Second Assessment Report (SAR), Working Group III, chapters 8 and 9; of the IPCC Special Report on Emissions Scenarios; and of Third Assessment Report (TAR), WG III, chapter 2; Coordinating Lead Author (CLA) of chapter 3 of WG II of TAR; Lead author of IPCC Fourth Assessment Report (AR4), WG III, chapter 3; Reviewer of AR4, WG II, chapter 13; Member of IPCC Task Group on Data and Scenario Support for Impact and Climate Analysis (TGICA).
- Author of several reports prepared for the Secretariat of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- Associate editor of the international scientific journals “Climate Policy” and “Energy Economics”.
- Special Adviser on Climate Change to the Brazilian Minister of Environment.
Worked as consultant of :
- Brazilian national (FINEP, CNPq, ENAP, CAPES, CEDAE, CNPq, FAPERJ, FEEMA, FEPAM, SCT, IBAMA, Infraero, ANA, MIR, MMA, MME, MTUR, ANP, ANEEL); State (Environment secretariats and agencies of Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, São Paulo, Rio Grande do Sul); and City administration bodies (Environment secretariats of Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo)
- International bodies (CEC, ECLAC, GEF, GNESD, IPCC, UNDP, UNU, UNESCO, FAO, IEA, IAEA, OAU, UNEP, URC, World Bank, WCD)
- Firms (Petrobrás, Eletrobrás, Furnas, El Paso, Ipiranga, MMX, APSIS/AMBEV)
- Research institutes (Battelle/PNNL, LNBL, USA; NIES, Japan; RISO/URC, Denmark; CIRED, France; IIED, UK; Wuppertal Institute, Germany; FEEM, Kyoto Club, Italy; IDRC, Canada; ECN, the Netherlands);
- NGOs (SouthSouthNorth, Gold Standard, Helio International, ICLEI, Ford Foundation)
- including assignments in developing countries of Latin America (Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Mexico, Peru), Africa (Ethiopia, Angola, Kenya, Madagascar, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Cape Vert, Mozambique, Tanzania, South Africa) and Asia (India, China, Bangladesh, Indonesia)
- Current fields of research, consultancy, publications and lecturing include : climate change mitigation and adaptation, GHG inventories, emissions scenarios, CDM projects, carbon markets; energy conservation; alternative energy sources; impact assessment methodologies; environmental audits; environmental impacts of energy projects and of large hydropower plants; strategic environmental assessment; environmental and social responsibility business planning; insertion of environmental concerns in energy planning; finance and technology transfer.