The 65th ordinary session will open on Tuesday, 14 September 2010, at 3 p.m.
The theme of the general debate will be "Reaffirming the central role of the United Nations in global governance", as proposed by the President-elect. Read the letter
- 20-22 September: Summit on the Millennium Development Goals (see also the Organization of the High-level Plenary Meeting of the 65th session of the General Assembly)
- 22 September: High-level meeting of the General Assembly as a contribution to the International Year of Biodiversity
- 23-25 September and 27-30 September: General Debate
- 24 September: High-level Meeting on Revitalizing the Work of the Conference on
Disarmament and Taking Forward Multilateral Disarmament Negotiations [A/INF/65/4]
- 24-25 September: Mauritius Strategy +5 Review (Five-year review of the Mauritius Strategy for the Further Implementation of the Barbados Programme of Action for the Sustainable Development of Small Island Developing States)
- Preliminary list of items to be included in the provisional agenda [A/65/50]
- Annotated preliminary list [A/65/100]
- Provisional agenda [A/65/150]
- List of supplementary items proposed for inclusion in the agenda of the sixty-fifth session of the General Assembly [A/65/200]
- Memorandum by the Secretary-General to the General Committee (available on 14 September 2010)
On 11 June 2010, the General Assembly elected, by acclamation, His Excellency Mr. Joseph Deiss of Switzerland as President of the 65th session of the General Assembly, as well as 21 Vice-Presidents, as well as the Presidents, Vice-Presidents and Rapporteur of the Main Committees.
- Press release
- Webcast [Realplayer, 1 h 42 min]
- Statement by H.E. Mr. Joseph Deiss, President-Elect of the sixty-fifth session of the General Assembly [Realplayer, 11 min]
- First Committee (Disarmament and International Security Committee):
- Chairperson: Mr. Miloš Koterec (Slovakia)
- Vice-Chairs and Rapporteur: Hossam Eldeen Aly (Egypt), Enrique Ochoa (Mexico), Herman Schaper (Netherlands), Carlos Sorreta (Philippines); the distribution of the Vice-Chair and Rapporteur posts will be decided at a later date.
- Second Committee (Economic and Financial Committee):
- Chairperson: Ms. Enkhtsetseg Ochir (Mongolia)
- Vice-Chairs and Rapporteur: Ms Csilla Würtz (Hungary), Mr. Erik Lundberg (Finland); an additional Vice-Chair and the Rapporteur will be elected at a later date.
- Third Committee (Social, Humanitarian and Cultural Committee):
- Chairperson, Vice-Chairs and Rapporteur: the elections will take place at a later date.
- Fourth Committee (Special Political and Decolonization Committee):
- Chairperson: Mr. Chitsaka Chipaziwa (Zimbabwe)
- Vice-Chairs: Mr. Radoslaw Flisiuk (Poland); Mr. David Windsor (Australia); the election of an additional Vice-Chair will take place at a later date.
- Rapporteur: Mr. Mohammad Wali Naeemi (Afghanistan)
- Fifth Committee (Administrative and Budgetary Committee):
- Chairperson: Mr. Gert Rosenthal (Guatemala)
- Vice-Chairs: Ms Ioana Sanda Stoica (Romania); Mr. Muhammad Irfan Soomro (Pakistan); Mr. Josiel Motumisi Tawana (South Africa)
- Rapporteur: Ms. Nicole Mannion (Irland)
- Sixth Committee (Legal Committee):
- Chairperson: Ms. Isabelle Picco (Monaco)
- Vice-Chairs: Ms. Eva Surkova (Slovakia); Mr. Chull-joo Park (Republic of Korea); Mr. Reta Alemu Nega (Ethiopia)
- Rapporteur: the election of the Rapporteur will be held at a later date.
Vice-Presidents for the 65th session:
- The five permanent Members of the Security Council: China, France, Russian Federation, United Kingdom, United States of America
- Five Members of the Group of African States: Botswana, Equatorial Guinea, Gambia, Mauritania, Senegal, Sudan
- Five Members of the Group of Asian States: Afghanistan, Indonesia, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, United Arab Emirates
- One Member of the Group of Eastern European States: Belarus
- Three Members of the Group of Latin American and Caribbean States: Ecuador, Nicaragua, Suriname
- One Member of the Group of Western European and other States: Luxembourg