Follow-up to the outcome of the Millennium Summit: specific meeting focused on development
Background: Follow-up to the outcome of the Millennium Summit
At its fifty-third session, in 1998, the General Assembly decided to designate its fifty-fifth session "The Millennium Assembly of the United Nations" (resolution 53/202) and decided to convene as part of that Assembly a Millennium Summit of the United Nations for a limited number of days .
At its fifty-fifth session, the General Assembly adopted the United Nations Millennium Declaration (resolution 55/2).
The item entitled "Follow-up to the outcome of the Millennium Summit" (A/55/235) was included as an additional item in the agenda of the fifty-fifth session of the General Assembly at the request of Algeria, Finland, Namibia, Poland, Singapore and Venezuela .
At its resumed sixtieth session, in July 2006, the General Assembly requested the Secretary-General to submit to the Assembly at its sixty-first session a comprehensive report containing detailed parameters on access to United Nations documentation by Member States and the public; and further requested the Secretary-General to submit the comprehensive report on information and communication technology referred to in paragraphs 17 and 18 of his report entitled "Investing in the United Nations for a stronger Organization worldwide: detailed report" (A/60/846/Add.1) to the Assembly at its resumed sixty-first session (resolution 60/283, sects. V and II).
At its sixty-first session, the General Assembly, inter alia, requested the Secretary- General to report to it, in the context of the biennial human resources management report, on the yearly rate of turnover in Professional categories, classified by grade level, in the United Nations Secretariat and in field missions (resolution 61/244, sect. I).
At the same session, the General Assembly also requested the Secretary-General to submit to it, no later than by the end of its sixty-first session, reports on the following:
- Enterprise risk management and internal control framework;
- Results-based management; and
- Accountability framework (resolution 61/245).
Also at the same session, the General Assembly, inter alia, further requested the Secretary-General to submit to it at its sixty-second session a comprehensive report on all aspects of procurement reform; to report on the specific modalities of the bid protest system and related procedures, including possible legal and financial implications; to report comprehensively on the principle of best value for money and its implementation in United Nations procurement; to continue to develop clear guidelines for the implementation of the best value for money methodology in United Nations procurement and to report thereon to the Assembly at its sixtysecond session; and to report to the Assembly, in the context of the comprehensive report, on the implementation of the resolution (resolution 61/246).
At its resumed sixty-first session, in September 2007, the General Assembly decided to defer consideration of the requested comprehensive reports until its sixty-second session (decision 61/562).
- Reports of the Secretary-General
- Enterprise risk management and internal control framework (resolution 61/245) (also under items 119 and 128)
- Results-based management (resolution 61/245) (also under items 119 and 128)
- Measures to increase procurement opportunities for developing countries and countries with economies in transition (resolution 61/246) (also under items 119 and 128)
- Comprehensive report on all aspects of procurement reform (resolution 61/246) (also under items 119 and 128)
- Policy for access to United Nations documentation by Member States and the public (resolution 60/283, sect. V) (also under items 119 and 128)
References for the sixtieth session (agenda items 46, 118, 120, 122, 124, 128, 129 and 136)
- Reports of the Secretary-General
- Study on the availability of skills in local labour markets for which international recruitment for the General Service category takes place (A/60/262)
- Composition of the Secretariat (A/60/310)
- Investing in the United Nations for a stronger Organization worldwide: detailed report (A/60/846 and Add.1, 2, 3 and 4)
- (Investing in the United Nations for a stronger Organization worldwide: procurement reform A/60/846/Add.5 and Add.5/Corr.1)
- Investing in the United Nations for a stronger Organization worldwide: detailed report: accountability (A/60/846/Add.6)
- Investing in the United Nations for a stronger Organization worldwide: detailed report: updated terms of reference for the Independent Audit Advisory Committee (A/60/846/Add.7)
- Implementation of decisions contained in the 2005 World Summit Outcome for action by the Secretary-General: comprehensive review of governance and oversight within the United Nations and its funds, programmes and specialized agencies (A/60/883 and Add.1 and Add.2)
- Special measures for protection from sexual exploitation and sexual abuse (A/60/861)
- Note by the Secretary-General transmitting the report of the Joint Inspection Unit entitled "Oversight lacunae in the United Nations system" (A/60/860) and the comments of the Secretary-General and those of the United Nations System Chief Executives Board for Coordination thereon (A/60/860/Add.1) (also under item 130)
- Report of the Office of Internal Oversight Services on proposals for strengthening the Office of Internal Oversight Services (A/60/901) (also under item 132)
- Reports of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (A/60/870, A/60/903, A/60/904 and A/60/909)
- Draft resolution A/60/L.59
- Summary records A/C.5/60/SR.60, 61, 64, 65 and 67
- Report of the Fifth Committee A/60/831/Add.1
- Plenary meetings A/60/PV.92 and 93
- Resolutions 60/265 and 60/283
References for the sixty-first session (agenda items 47, 113, 116, 117, 122, 123, 132, 147 and 149)
- Reports of the Secretary-General
- Comprehensive policy guidelines for consultants in the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (A/61/201)
- Human resources management reform (A/61/228 and Corr.1)
- Investing in people (A/61/255)
- Reforming the Field Service category: investing in meeting the human resources requirements of United Nations peace operations in the twenty-first century (A/61/255/Add.1 and Add.1/Corr.1)
- Composition of the Secretariat (A/61/257 and Corr.1)
- Gratis personnel provided by Governments and other entities (A/61/257/Add.1 and Add.1/Corr.1)
- Employment of retired former staff (A/61/257/Add.2)
- Consultants and individual contractors (A/61/257/Add.3)
- Activities of the Ethics Office (A/61/274)
- Management Performance Board (A/61/319)
- Accountability measures (A/61/546)
- Reports of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (A/61/537 and A/61/605)
- Summary records A/C.5/61/SR.9, 12, 14, 16, 30 and 36
- Reports of the Fifth Committee A/61/658 and A/61/659
- Plenary meetings A/61/PV.84, 86, 87 and 109
- Resolutions 61/244, 61/245 and 61/246
- Decision 61/562