Frequently Asked Questions

1. When does the 59th session of the General Assembly open? What are the dates of the general debate?

Opens: Tuesday, 14 September 2004;
General debate opens: Tuesday, 21 September 2004; closes: Friday, 1 October 2004.

2. How do I contact the President of the 59th General Assembly?

His Excellency, Mr. Jean Ping (Gabon), Room C-204*, Telephone: (212) 963-7555; Fax: (212) 963-3301.

[* The President’s office is located on the 2nd floor of the Conference Building, between the ECOSOC and Trusteeship Council Chambers].

3. How many copies of statements are needed for distribution in the General Assembly Hall? Where and when do I deliver them?

Before meeting begins, deliver statements to the documents counter on the left side of the General Assembly Hall or to the conference officer.

300 copies for general distribution; or 30 copies for minimum distribution; or at least 6 copies for interpreters and press officers only.

4. Can a delegation circulate communications or other materials in the General Assembly Hall before the meeting?

As a general rule, only UN documents and statements of speakers can be distributed in the Hall before a meeting. Any other pertinent materials must be cleared in advance with the Chief of the General Assembly Affairs Branch (ext. 3.2336 in room S-2925, or ext. 3.7787 in GA-200).

5. How do I arrange for a videotape of my head of State’s statement in the General Assembly Hall? Photographs?

For videotaping, contact the Chief, Broadcast and Conference Support Section, FAX: (212) 963-3699; e-mail:;

For photographs: photos of heads of State delivering statements in the plenary of the General Assembly are routinely taken and available from the UN Photo Resource Centre, room S-0805L, Tel: (212) 963-6927/963-0034, Fax: (212) 963-1658. Special requests for other photographs may be addressed to Mr. Evan Schneider, room S-0927B, Tel: (212) 963-5828; such requests can be accommodated only as staffing constraints allow.

6. How can a Member State co-sponsor a resolution?

Member States wishing to co-sponsor a particular draft resolution may sign up with the Member State coordinating the draft resolution or with the staff member of the General Assembly Affairs Branch responsible for draft resolutions in the General Assembly Hall during plenary meetings, or at other times in room S-2994B or S-2925.

7. Where can I get a blank copy of the co-sponsorship form?

From the offices of the General Assembly Affairs Branch, room
S-2994B or S-2925, or in the General Assembly Hall during plenary meetings.

8. What is the procedure for tabling a draft resolution?

  • the printed version and a computer diskette containing the final text of a draft resolution must be submitted by an accredited delegate of a Mission, and signed in the presence of the General Assembly staff member responsible for processing draft resolutions;
  • the submitting delegation provides a list of co-sponsors if any;
  • if the new draft resolution is based on a previous one, the old text may be downloaded from the UN Official Document System, and necessary changes made, i.e. new text in bold and unwanted text clearly marked for deletion.

9. Where can I get a copy of the resolution adopted?

A few weeks after adoption, resolutions are published in the A/RES/ series of documents. Until then, the text is contained in the “L” document or in the report of a Committee.

10. Where can I get a copy of the voting record on the resolution adopted?

From the General Assembly Affairs Branch in room S-2994B or S-2925.

11. How can I find out the programme of work of the respective Main Committees?

Call the Secretary of the respective Main Committee. The Secretaries’ names, office locations and telephone numbers are available in document A/INF/59/3.

Back to top