VICTOR ANDRES BELAUNDE (PERU)
ELECTED PRESIDENT OF THE FOURTEENTH SESSION OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Mr. Victor Andrés Belaúnde, from Peru, chaired the Fourteenth session and the fourth emergeny special session of the General Assembly.
Mr. Belaúnde graduated from the University de San Marcos in Political Science in 1908 and in Litterature in 1911. He started serving as Secretary, in the Boundary archives service in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1903. He was then Secretary in the Diplomatic Mission to Spain and Argentina. From 1905 to 1906, he teached at the University of San Marcos. From 1907 to 1911, he was Director in the Boundary archives service in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. From 1911 to 1919, he teached to the University of San Marcos.
In 1914, Mr. Belaúnde was Chargé d'affaires in Germany and in 1915 in Bolivia. From 1918 to 1932, he was the Director of the "Mercurio Peruano" a review that he founded. He was Minister Plenipotentiary to Uruguay in 1919, in Colombia in 1934 and 1935 and in Switzerland in 1936. He was Professor of Hispanic-American culture at Columbia University, Rice Institute (Houston, Texas), University of Miami and lectured at the International Insitute of Education (New York), Johns Hopkins University and Chicago University, while in political exile in the United States from 1921 to 1930.
Mr. Belaúnde served as a Member of the Constituent Assembly in Lima 1930 and as a Federal Deputy in 1931 and 1932. He occupied a number of positions in International fora and delegations. In 1942, he was Special Ambassador during the visit of President Prado to the United Sates and delegate to the United Nations Conference on International Organizations, in San Francisco in 1945.
Mr. Belaúnde was Doctor Honoris Causa of Miami University, of the Catholic University of America and of University of Chile. He was a Member of many associations in the fields of humanities and political science and was the author of monographies, in particular in international relations.
Mr. Victor Andrés Belaúnde was born in Arequipa in 1883.