Social, Humanitarian and Cultural
UN Home Page
19 September 1997
I have the honour to transmit to you herewith the decisions taken by the General Assembly at the 4th plenary meeting of its fifty-second session pertaining to the allocation of items to the Third Committee.
I wish to draw your attention to the recommendations on the organization of the session contained in section II of the report of the General Committee (A/52/250). Those recommendations were approved by the General Assembly, also at its 4th plenary meeting.
May I also draw your attention to paragraph 40 and the relevant part of paragraph 49 of the report (A/52/250) concerning the agenda of the Main Committees.
I earnestly request your cooperation in these matters.
1. Report of the Economic and Social Council [chapters I, IV, V (sections A to C and H) and VII] (item 12).
[The General Assembly decided that the chapters of the report listed below would be referred also to plenary meetings and to the Second and Fifth Committees, as follows:
(a) Chapters I, V (section B) and VII....... Plenary meetings and Second and Fifth Committees
(b) Chapters IV and V (sections A and H) ........ Plenary meetings and Second Committee
(c) Chapter V (section C) ........ Second Committee
2. Social development, including questions relating to the world social situation and to youth, ageing, disabled persons and the family (item 102).
3. Crime prevention and criminal justice (item 103).
4. International drug control (item 104).
5. Advancement of women (item 105).
[The General Assembly decided that the report of the Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme on the operations, management and budget of the United Nations Development Fund for Women should be referred to the Second Committee for consideration under item 99 (Operational activities for development).]
6. Implementation of the outcome of the Fourth World Conference on Women (item 106).
7. Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, questions relating to refugees, returnees and displaced persons and humanitarian questions (item 107).
8. Promotion and protection of the rights of children (item 108).
9. Programme of activities of the International Decade of the World's Indigenous People (item 109).
10. Elimination of racism and racial discrimination (item 110).
11. Right of peoples to self-determination (item 111).
12. Human rights questions (item 112):
(a) Implementation of human rights instruments;
(b) Human rights questions, including alternative approaches for improving the effective enjoyment of human rights and fundamental freedoms;
(c) Human rights situations and reports of special rapporteurs and representatives;
(d) Comprehensive implementation of and follow-up to the Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action;
(e) Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights.