adopted by the General Assembly
[without reference to a Main Committee (A/56/L.82 and Add.1)]
The General Assembly,
Bearing in mind its resolution 56/168 of 19 December 2001, in which it invited, inter alia, non-governmental organizations with an interest in the matter to make contributions to the work of the Ad Hoc Committee on a Comprehensive and Integral International Convention on Protection and Promotion of the Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities,
Welcoming the fact that the Commission on Human Rights in its resolution 2002/61 of 25 April 2002  encouraged the Ad Hoc Committee to adopt working methods that would allow for full participation by relevant non-governmental organizations in its deliberations,
1. Decides that accreditation of non-governmental organizations to the Ad Hoc Committee on a Comprehensive and Integral International Convention on Protection and Promotion of the Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities shall be granted to all non-governmental organizations enjoying consultative status with the Economic and Social Council;
2. Also decides that other non-governmental organizations, not accredited previously to the Ad Hoc Committee, may apply to the Secretariat for such accreditation, and that the applications should contain all the information on the competence of the organization and the relevance of its activities to the work of the Committee specified in paragraph 44 of Economic and Social Council resolution 1996/31 of 25 July 1996; regarding those applications, it further decides that:
3. Urges relevant United Nations bodies, in recognition of the importance of the equitable geographical participation of non-governmental organizations in the work of the Ad Hoc Committee, to assist those non-governmental organizations that lack resources, in particular non-governmental organizations interested in the matter from developing countries and countries with economies in transition, in participating in the work of the Committee;
4. Requests the Secretary-General to disseminate widely to the community of non-governmental organizations all available information on accreditation procedures as well as information on supportive measures for participation in the Ad Hoc Committee;
5. Decides that representatives from non-governmental organizations accredited to the Ad Hoc Committee may participate in the work of the Committee and that the modalities of this participation will be decided by the Committee during the first week of its first session;
6. Also decides that the above arrangements shall in no way create a precedent for other ad hoc committees of the General Assembly.
23 July 2002
 See Official Records of the Economic and Social Council, 2002, Supplement No. 3 (E/2002/23), chap. II, sect. A.