Draft resolution I
The Economic and Social Council,
Recalling General Assembly resolutions 37/52 of 3 December 1982, by which the Assembly adopted the World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons, 48/96 of 20 December 1993, by which it adopted the Standard Rules on the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities, 56/168 of 19 December 2001, by which it established the Ad Hoc Committee on a Comprehensive and Integral International Convention on the Promotion and Protection of the Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities, 58/132 of 22 December 2003 and 59/198 of 20 December 2004, as well as Assembly decision 59/521 of 20 December 2004 on the issue of the proposed supplement to the Standard Rules on the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities,
Recalling its resolutions 2002/26 of 24 July 2002 and 2004/15 of 21 July 2004 on further promotion of equalization of opportunities by, for and with persons with disabilities and protection of the human rights of persons with disabilities,
Encouraged by the elaboration of a convention carried out in the Ad Hoc Committee on a Comprehensive and Integral International Convention on the Promotion and Protection of the Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities,
Mindful of the need to adopt and implement effective strategies and policies to promote the rights and the full and effective participation of persons with disabilities in economic, social, cultural and political life on the basis of equality in order to achieve a society for all,
Noting with satisfaction that the Standard Rules on the Equalization of Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities play an increasingly important role in the equalization of opportunities for persons with disabilities,
Noting with grave concern that persons with disabilities are, in some circumstances, among the poorest of the poor and that they continue to be excluded from the benefits of development, such as education and access to gainful employment,
Encouraging States to further participate actively in international cooperation for the equalization of opportunities for persons with disabilities,
1. Welcomes the work of the Special Rapporteur on Disability of the Commission for Social Development, and takes note of her report;1
2. Urges Governments, the Secretary-General, intergovernmental organizations and non-governmental organizations, and invites relevant human rights treaty bodies, relevant bodies and organizations of the United Nations system, including the Bretton Woods institutions, multilateral development agencies and regional commissions, to create greater awareness and support for the further implementation of the Standard Rules, to work closely with the United Nations programme on persons with disabilities, to promote the enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms of persons with disabilities and to improve consultation, exchange of information and coordination;
3. Encourages Governments, non-governmental organizations and the private sector to continue to contribute to the United Nations Voluntary Fund on Disability in order to support the activities of the Special Rapporteur as well as new and expanded initiatives to strengthen national capacities for equalization of opportunities by, for and with persons with disabilities;
4. Decides to renew the mandate of the Special Rapporteur through 31 December 2008 to further the promotion and monitoring of the Standard Rules in accordance with the provisions set down in section 4 of the Standard Rules, including the human rights dimensions of disability;
5. Requests the Special Rapporteur on Disability of the Commission for Social Development to take into account the general ideas contained in the proposed supplement to the Standard Rules2 in the accomplishment of her mandate;
6. Encourages the Special Rapporteur to continue to participate in and contribute to the work of the Ad Hoc Committee on a Comprehensive and Integral International Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities;
7. Requests the Special Rapporteur to submit an annual report on the monitoring
of the implementation of the Standard Rules to the Commission for Social Development.
*. For the discussion, see chap. III, paras. 39-42.
1. See E/CN.5/2005/5.
2. E/CN.5/2002/4, annex.