Third International Conference on Financing for Development
Addis Ababa, Ethiopa, 13-16 July 2015
The third International Conference on Financing for Development will be held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from 13 to 16 July 2015. It will gather high-level political representatives, including Heads of State and Government, anDd Ministers of Finance, Foreign Affairs and Development Cooperation, as well as all relevant institutional stakeholders, non-governmental organizations and business sector entities. The Conference will result in an intergovernmentally negotiated and agreed outcome, which should constitute an important contribution to and support the implementation of the post-2015 development agenda.
(1) assessing the progress made in the implementation of the Monterrey Consensus and the Doha Declaration and identifying obstacles and constraints encountered in the achievement of the goals and objectives agreed therein, as well as actions and initiatives to overcome these constraints;
(2) addressing new and emerging issues, including in the context of the recent multilateral efforts to promote international development cooperation, taking into account:
- the current evolving development cooperation landscape;
- the interrelationship of all sources of development finance;
- the synergies between financing objectives across the three dimensions of sustainable development; and
- the need to support the United Nations development agenda beyond 2015;
(3) reinvigorating and strengthening the financing for development follow-up process.
The preparations for the Conference, under the auspices of the President of the 69th session of the General Assembly, includes substantive informal sessions on all relevant thematic areas and informal interactive hearings with civil society and the business sector, as well as drafting sessions of the outcome document in January, April and June 2015.
In his letter of 8 October 2014, the President of the sixty-ninth session of the General Assembly appointed Ambassador George Talbot of Guyana and Ambassador Geir Pedersen of Norway as co-facilitators to lead open, inclusive and transparent consultations on all issues related to the third International Conference on Financing for Development and its preparatory process.
The United Nations Secretary-General designated Mr. Wu Hongbo, Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs, as the Secretary-General for the Conference. The Financing for Development Office (FfDO) provides substantive support to the preparation and organization of the Conference. The FfDO is working closely with all relevant stakeholders, within the UN system and beyond, toward the success of the Conference.
- Note by the Secretary-General on "Proposed organization of work of the third International Conference on Financing for Development" (A/69/542)
- Letter of the President of the General Assembly: updated road map and programme of work for the substantive sessions (24 October 2014)
- Letter of the President of the General Assembly: proposed road map detailing the preparatory process and tentative programme of work for the substantive informal sessions (13 October 2014)
- Letter of the President of the General Assembly appointing the two co-facilitators of the intergovernmental consultations (8 October 2014)
- GA resolution 68/279 on “Modalities for the third International Conference on Financing for Development” (A/RES/68/279)
- Opening session (17 October 2014)
- Global context (10 November 2014)
- Domestic public finance (11 November 2014)
- International public finance (12 November 2014)
- Private finance (13 November 2014)
- Enabling and conducive policy environment (9 December 2014)
- Trade, investment and technology (10 December 2014)
- Governance (11 December 2014)
- Learning from partnerships and follow-up process (12 December 2014)
- Report of the Intergovernmental Committee of Experts on Sustainable Development Financing (A/69/315)
- Report of the Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals (A/68/970)
- Report of the Secretary-General on "Follow-up to and implementation of the Monterrey Consensus and Doha Declaration on Financing for Development" (A/69/358)
- Report of the Secretary-General on "International financial system and development" (A/69/188)
- Report of the Secretary-General on “International trade and development” (A/69/179)
- Report of the Secretary-General on "External debt sustainability and development" (A/69/167)