Ad Hoc Expert Group Meeting on "Rethinking the Role of National Development Banks"
1-2 December 2005, New York
The Ad Hoc Expert Group Meeting on the theme "Rethinking the Role of National Development Banks" took place at UN Headquarters in New York on 1-2 December 2005, in Conference Room 4.
The main purpose of this meeting was to seek intellectual inputs from a representative group of experts acting in their personal capacity for the launch, in 2006, of a research project, entitled "Multi-stakeholder Consultations on Rethinking the Role of National Development Banks".
To this end, participating experts were invited to engage in an interactive discussion, with a view to identifying and exploring key substantive issues to be addressed during the consultation process, including relevant national and regional experiences, as well as some organizational and logistical aspects.
As part of the broader focus on the implementation of the Monterrey Consensus on Financing for Development, this project is expected to produce a publication on the role of national development banks as a renewed tool of development finance. In addition, the main findings and recommendations will be reported to the General Assembly.
- Meeting report
- Revised agenda (includes links to presentations)
- Revised list of participants
- Proposed issues
- Revised Background Document [ E F ]
- Other background reading
Presentations and papers
- Multi-stakeholder Consultations on Financing for Development, 2004-2005
Alex Trepelkov, Chief, Multi-stakeholder Engagement & Outreach Branch, FfDO, UN-DESA
- Presentation of the Project Proposal: Multi-stakeholder Consultations on “Rethinking the Role of National Development Banks” (2006-2008)
Hazem Fahmy, Ricardo Espina, Julien Serre, Financing for Development Office, UN-DESA
- Development Banking in Latin America: Present Situation and Prospects
Rommel Acevedo, Secretary General, Asociaciуn Latinoamericana de Instituciones Financieras para el Desarrollo (ALIDE) (Lima, Peru)
- The Quest for Sustainability in National Development Banks
Ignace Monkam Daverat, Division banques et marches financiers, Departement secteur financier, Agence Francaise de Developpement (AFD) (Paris, France)
- Benefits and Costs of Privatization of State-Owned Banks
Lemma W. Senbet, Chair of the Finance Department, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland (College Park, MD, USA)
- Is There a Role for Development Banks in Long-term Financing?
Daniel Titelman, Coordinador, Unidad de Estudios Especiales, Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) (Santiago, Chile)
- Supporting Long-term Financing Mechanisms: JBIC's Experience
Toru Tokuhisa, Resident Executive Director for the Americas, Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) (New York, NY, USA)
- Evaluation of Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa
Lumkile Mondi, Chief Economist, Industrial Development Corporation and Vice-President, Association of African Development Finance Institutions (AADFI) (Johannesburg, South Africa)
- Public-Private Partnerships for Financing of Infrastructure Development
Akash Deep, Associate Professor of Public Policy, Harvard University (Cambridge, MA, USA)
- Promoting Competition and Entrepreneurship
Sailendra Narein, Chairman, Centre for SME Growth and Development Finance (Mumbai, India)
- US Experience: Lessons for National Development Banks
Randall Dodd, Director, Financial Policy Forum (Washington, DC, USA)
- How to support NDBs in Attracting Long-term Capital: Lessons from Experience in Africa
Gilles Genre-Grandpierre, Head of Banking & Capital Markets, Proparco (Paris, France)
- A Culture of Evaluation – A Key to Effective Governance & Management of Development Financing Institutions?
Admassu Tadesse, Head, Corporate Strategy and Planning, Development Bank of South Africa (DBSA) (Johannesburg, South Africa)
- BNDES: Financing the Brazilian Development
Demian Fiocca, Executive Vice President, Director of Control, Infrastructure and Basic Industry Areas, Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Economico e Social (BNDES) (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- Gabon Development Bank: Lessons from Experience
Fulvio Mazzeo, Conseiller du Directeur General, Banque Gabonaise de Developpement (Libreville, Gabon)