Pursuant to ECOSOC resolution 2014/11, the overall theme of the meeting was “Coherence, coordination and cooperation in the context of financing for sustainable development and the post-2015 development agenda”.
The meeting took place at a critical moment in the preparatory process for the Third International Conference on Financing for Development (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 13-16 July 2015) and the Post-2015 Summit (New York, 25-27 September 2015). It provided Member States and major institutional stakeholders with the opportunity to discuss the key deliverables of the Addis Ababa Conference, and its follow-up.
Following a short opening plenary, a Ministerial segment was held on the theme:
- World economic situation and prospects
The meeting also featured three thematic debates on the following topics:
- Current challenges and emerging opportunities for the mobilization of financial resources and their effective use for sustainable development on the road to Addis Ababa;
- Renewed global partnership for development in the context of the post-2015 development agenda; and
- Follow-up and the way forward: enhancing the role of ECOSOC.
The thematic debates on the above topics were held consecutively in an informal plenary setting of the whole, in order to facilitate greater engagement of all participants and to promote an open exchange of views and experiences among all stakeholders, including civil society and the business sector.
Background on organizational matters
Background on substantive matters
- Note by the Secretary-General on “Coherence, coordination and cooperation in the context of financing for sustainable development and the post-2015 development agenda” (E/2015/52)
- Synthesis Report of the Secretary-General on the Post-2015 Sustainable Development Agenda (A/69/700)
- Report of the Secretary-General on “Follow-up to and implementation of the Monterrey Consensus and Doha Declaration on Financing for Development” (A/69/358)
- Report of the Intergovernmental Committee of Experts on “Sustainable Development Financing” (A/69/315)
- Report of the Secretary-General on “International Financial System and Development (A/69/188)
- Report of the Secretary-General on “External debt sustainability and development” (A/69/167)
- ECOSOC resolution 2014/11 on “Follow-up to the International Conference on Financing for Development”
- GA resolution on “Follow-up to the International Conference on Financing for Development” (A/RES/69/208)
- GA resolution on “External debt sustainability and development” (A/RES/69/207)
- GA resolution on “International financial system and development” (A/RES/69/206)
- GA resolution on “International trade and development” (A/RES/69/205)
- GA resolution 68/279 on “Modalities for the third International Conference on Financing for Development”
- Renewed global development partnership vital to post-2015 agenda, Ban tells top finance institutions
20 April 2015, morning session
20 April 2015, afternoon session
21 April 2015, morning session