Special high-level meeting of ECOSOC with the Bretton Woods institutions, the World Trade Organization and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
22 April 2013, UN Headquarters, New York
Pursuant to ECOSOC resolutions 2012/31, 2011/38, 2010/26 and 2009/30, the overall theme of the meeting was “Coherence, coordination and cooperation in the context of financing for sustainable development and the post-2015 development agenda”. Following a short opening plenary featuring an opening address by the Deputy Secretary-General, a High-level Panel of Ministers was held on the theme:
- World economic situation and prospects in the wake of the world financial and economic crisis
The morning session concluded with statements by the heads of relevant intergovernmental bodies and other senior official of the institutional stakeholders of the meeting.
The afternoon session featured two informal thematic debates on the following themes:
- Financing for sustainable development, including leveraging of private capital, in the context of the follow-up to the outcome of the Rio+20 Conference;
- Global partnership for development in the context of post-2015 development agenda.
The thematic debates on the above topics were held consecutively in an informal plenary setting of the whole, in order to facilitate greater engagement of all participants and to promote an open exchange of views and experiences among all stakeholders, including civil society and the business sector.
The full summary of the meeting by the President of the Council was issued as an official document of the General Assembly and ECOSOC (A/68/78–E/2013/66).
- ECOSOC resolution 2012/31 on "Follow-up to the International Conference on Financing for Development"
- ECOSOC resolution 2011/38 on "Follow-up to the International Conference on Financing for Development"
- ECOSOC resolution 2011/39 on "Follow-up to the Outcome of the Conference on the World Financial and Economic Crisis and Its Impact on Development: consideration of the possible establishment of an ad hoc panel of experts"
- ECOSOC resolution 2010/26 on "Follow-up to the International Conference on Financing for Development and the 2008 Review Conference"
- ECOSOC resolution 2009/30 on "A strengthened and more effective intergovernmental inclusive process to carry out the financing for development follow-up"
on organizational matters
on substantive matters
- Note by the Secretary-General on "Coherence, coordination and cooperation in the context of financing for sustainable development and the post-2015 development agenda" (E/2013/52)
- Report of the Secretary-General on "Modalities of the financing for development follow-up process" (A/67/353)
- Report of the Secretary-General on "Follow-up to and implementation of the Monterrey Consensus and Doha Declaration on Financing for Development" (A/67/339)
- Report of the Secretary-General on "International financial system and development" (A/67/187)
- Report of the Secretary-General on “External debt sustainability and development” (A/67/174)
- Report of the Secretary-General on “International trade and development” (A/67/184)
General Assembly resolutions
- GA resolution 67/199 on "Follow-up to the International Conference on Financing for Development"
- GA resolution 67/198 on "External debt sustainability and development"
- GA resolution 67/197 on "International financial system and development"
- GA resolution 67/196 on "International trade and development"