Special high-level meeting of ECOSOC with the Bretton Woods institutions, the World Trade Organization and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
12-13 March 2012, UN Headquarters, New York
Pursuant to ECOSOC resolutions 2011/38, 2010/26 and 2009/30, the overall theme of the meeting was “Coherence, coordination and cooperation in the context of Financing for Development”. The UN Secretary-General addressed the meeting. Following a short opening plenary with brief statements by the President of ECOSOC and the heads of relevant intergovernmental bodies, the meeting included informal thematic debates on the following topics:
- “Promoting sustained, inclusive and equitable economic growth, job creation, productive investment and trade”;
- “Financing of sustainable development".
The thematic debates on the above topics were held consecutively in an informal plenary setting of the whole, in order to facilitate greater engagement of all participants and to promote an open exchange of views and experiences among all stakeholders, including civil society and the business sector. At the closing of the meeting, the President of ECOSOC made concluding remarks. The full summary by the President of the Council was issued as an official document of the General Assembly and ECOSOC (A/67/81–E/2012/62).
- Summary by the President of the Economic and Social Council of the special high-level meeting of the Council with the Bretton Woods institutions, the World Trade Organization and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (A/67/81–E/2012/62)
- Concluding remarks by the President
- Newsletter No. 2012/4
on organizational matters
- Programme (includes links to speeches and presentations)
- Biographies of speakers
- UN Journal announcements
- Letter from the President of ECOSOC to Member States
- Calendar of Side Events
- ECOSOC resolution 2011/38 on "Follow-up to the International Conference on Financing for Development"
- ECOSOC resolution 2011/39 on "Follow-up to the Outcome of the Conference on the World Financial and Economic Crisis and Its Impact on Development: consideration of the possible establishment of an ad hoc panel of experts"
- ECOSOC resolution 2010/26 on "Follow-up to the International Conference on Financing for Development and the 2008 Review Conference"
- ECOSOC resolution 2009/30 on "A strengthened and more effective intergovernmental inclusive process to carry out the financing for development follow-up"
on substantive matters
- Note by the Secretary-General on "Coherence, coordination and cooperation in the context of Financing for Development" (E/2012/7)
- Note by the Secretary-General on "Resilient people, resilient planet: a future worth choosing" (A/66/700)
- Summary by the President of the General Assembly of the fifth High-level Dialogue on Financing for Development (A/66/678)
- Report of the Secretary-General on "Global Economic Governance and Development"
- Report of the Secretary-General on "Follow-up to and implementation of the Monterrey Consensus and Doha Declaration on Financing for Development" (A/66/329)
- Report of the Secretary-General on "Innovative mechanisms of financing for development" (A/66/334)
- Report of the Secretary-General on "International financial system and development" (A/66/167
- Report of the Secretary-General on "Recovering from the world financial and economic crisis: a Global Jobs Pact" (E/2011/92)
General Assembly resolutions
- GA resolution 66/185 on "International trade and development"
- GA resolution 66/187 on "International financial system and development"
- GA resolution 66/189 on "External debt sustainability and development"
- GA resolution 66/190 on "Commodities"
- GA resolution 66/191 on "Follow-up to the International Conference on Financing for Development"