News and Media
19 January 2015 – Climate change and increasing competition for natural resources have essentially rendered the agriculture model of the past 40 years unsustainable, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has stressed, calling for a ‘paradigm shift’ in food production.
19 January 2015 – Knowledge of agricultural genetic resources needs to grow more quickly because of the critical role they have to play in feeding the world as climate change advances faster than expected, according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
16 January 2015 – A United Nations-supported video campaign to fight hunger in Africa will feature at the matches throughout the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, starting 17 January, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) announced today.
20 November 2014 – Pope Francis today urged leaders attending a United Nations Food and Agriculture (FAO) nutrition conference in Rome to view food and nutrition and the environment as global public issues at a time when nations are more tightly linked with each other than ever before.
19 November 2014 – Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon observed that while “a great deal of progress” had been made since his Zero Hunger Challenge was first issued, the world needed to “redouble” its efforts in eliminating hunger and improving nutrition.”
17 November 2014 – The United Nations and Myanmar’s Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation (MoAI), with the support by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), have marked this year’s World Food Day with the launch of a major initiative to eradicate hunger.
6 November 2014 – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), MasterCard and the Italian postal service are launching the world’s first online donation platform that will allow Italians to automatically make micro-donations to support school meal projects in developing countries every time they use their card.
3 November 2014 – UN and public agencies, governments and the private sector are increasingly entering into public-private partnerships to develop new ways of addressing old problems like hunger. One example is Project Laser Beam, a five-year, multi-million dollar initiative to turn the tide on child undernutrition.
24 October 2014 - The world wastes enough food to feed an estimated two billion people, the United Nations said today as its three Rome-based food agencies announced the launch of a digital platform designed to take aim at the growing problem of "food loss."
14 October 2014 - On World Food Day, Knorr will donate one million nutritious meals to school children around the world.
25 September 2014 – Despite a rising global population and the perilous effects of climate change, the goal of eliminating hunger around the world remains within reach, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today.
- 16 October 2014: Secretary-General's message on World Food Day
- 25 September 2014: Secretary-General's message to Delivering Zero Hunger - Demonstrating Impact High Level UNGA Side Event
- 25 June 2014: Secretary-General’s Remarks at the inauguration of the United Nations House in Equatorial Guinea
- 25 May, 2014: The Secretary-General's Message on Africa Day (25 May 2014)
- 15 Apr, 2013: Ireland's President Stresses Importance of Political Commitment to Zero Hunger Challenge
- 12 Feb, 2013: Secretary-General Highlights 'Zero Hunger Challenge', Vital Role of Small Farmers, in Message to Governing Council of International Fund for Agricultural Development.
- 5 Dec, 2012: UN Secretary-General's keynote remarks at the informal ministerial roundtable "Ambition, support and delivery, now and in the future" [as prepared for delivery], Doha, Qatar
- 30 Nov, 2012: Statement by FAO Director–General for Private Sector Partnerships Meeting
- 18 Oct, 2012: UN Secretary-General’s remarks at World Food Prize Ceremony
- 17 Oct, 2012: Statement by FAO Director–General for the Committee on World Food Security
- 25 Sep, 2012: UN Secretary-General’s address to the 67th General Assembly general debate
- 28 Jun, 2012: UN Secretary-General’s remarks to General Assembly on outcome of Rio+20 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development
- 21 Jun, 2012: UN Secretary-General’s remarks at the launch of the Zero Hunger Challenge
- 21 Jun, 2012: UN Secretary-General’s remarks to the High-Level Side Event on LDCs, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 21 Jun, 2012: FAO Director-General welcomes UN Secretary-General’s Zero Hunger Challenge