News and Media
25 September 2014 – Despite a rising global population and the perilous effects of climate change, the goal of eliminating hunger around the world remains within reach, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today.
20 July 2014 - "One of the youngest nations on the planet, and the youngest in Asia, Timor-Leste today announced that overcoming hunger and food insecurity is inseparable from the principles that will sustain its sovereignty."
2 July 2014 – A newly issued United Nations-backed expert panel report takes a close look at where and how food waste occurs and recommends a number of actions that could help reduce the 1.3 billion tonnes of food that are squandered worldwide each year.
Recognizing outstanding progress in fighting hunger
Chile, China & Morocco are the latest in a growing list of countries to make great strides in combating undernourishment such as the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal 1 – to halve the proportion of hungry people by 2015 – or the 1996 World Food Summit target of halving the absolute number of hungry people by 2015.
25 June 2014 – The United Nations will help Equatorial Guinea to reduce poverty and inequality, and promote food security, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon pledged today as he arrived in the country on the eve of his address to the African Union Summit.
- 16 October 2014: Secretary-General's message on World Food Day
- 25 September 2014: Secretary-General's message to Delivering Zero Hunger - Demonstrating Impact High Level UNGA Side Event
- 25 June 2014: Secretary-General’s Remarks at the inauguration of the United Nations House in Equatorial Guinea
- 25 May, 2014: The Secretary-General's Message on Africa Day (25 May 2014)
- 15 Apr, 2013: Ireland's President Stresses Importance of Political Commitment to Zero Hunger Challenge
- 12 Feb, 2013: Secretary-General Highlights 'Zero Hunger Challenge', Vital Role of Small Farmers, in Message to Governing Council of International Fund for Agricultural Development.
- 5 Dec, 2012: UN Secretary-General's keynote remarks at the informal ministerial roundtable "Ambition, support and delivery, now and in the future" [as prepared for delivery], Doha, Qatar
- 30 Nov, 2012: Statement by FAO Director–General for Private Sector Partnerships Meeting
- 18 Oct, 2012: UN Secretary-General’s remarks at World Food Prize Ceremony
- 17 Oct, 2012: Statement by FAO Director–General for the Committee on World Food Security
- 25 Sep, 2012: UN Secretary-General’s address to the 67th General Assembly general debate
- 28 Jun, 2012: UN Secretary-General’s remarks to General Assembly on outcome of Rio+20 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development
- 21 Jun, 2012: UN Secretary-General’s remarks at the launch of the Zero Hunger Challenge
- 21 Jun, 2012: UN Secretary-General’s remarks to the High-Level Side Event on LDCs, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 21 Jun, 2012: FAO Director-General welcomes UN Secretary-General’s Zero Hunger Challenge