Action For Civil Society
• Work with government officials at the local and national levels to establish legislation to help end violence against women in your country or community. You can consult the violence against women database. To find out about your country’s legal framework, policies and programmes on the issue, as well as data and statistics.
• Initiate an SMS/text message campaign to create awareness about gender-based violence in your country or community.
• Produce a compilation of real-life stories of women and men working to end violence against women, and send it to government officials, NGOs and media.
• Organize seminars and speaking events that focus on issues such as national legislation on violence against women and the role of men in stopping violence against women in local communities.
• Ask local artists to create a piece on violence against women and organize an exhibit to display the work. Screen a film which highlights the issue, and follow it with a panel discussion or question and answer session with the filmmakers.
• Run a workshop for local journalists to sensitize them to issues of gender and reinforce the importance of the role of the media in ending violence against women.