Economic and Social Council
- Economic and Social Council Explores Integration of Three Sustainable Development Pillars - Economic, Social, Environmental - to Achieve ‘Triple Win’ Solutions (13 May 2013)
The international community could end hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition sustainably by 2025 through holistic and “win-win” sustainable agriculture approaches, the head of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) said this morning.
- Economic and Social Council President Announces Appointments to Indigenous Forum; Members Advance Plans for Annual Substantive Session, Hear Briefing on ‘CEB’ (6 May 2013)
Meeting briefly in a resumed organizational session today, the Economic and Social Council this morning adopted its theme for an upcoming event on transition from relief to development, considered outstanding vacancies on two of its subsidiary bodies, and heard a briefing on the work of the United Nations System Chief Executives Board for Coordination.
- Commission on Population and Development Concludes Session with Consensus Adoption of Broad Resolution on Human Rights Protection of Migrants (26 April 2013)
The Commission on Population and Development, adopting a consensus resolution as it closed its forty-sixth session late in the evening, called on States to promote and protect the human rights and fundamental freedoms of all migrants and to take a comprehensive and balanced approach to the increasingly complex issue of migration.
- Concluding Forest Forum, Countries Endorsed Measures that Ensure Priority to Forest Issues in post-2015 Agenda (22 April 2013)
ISTANBUL, 20 April — The 197 country members of the United Nations Forum on Forests concluded their two-week session in Istanbul, Turkey, with agreement on a series of measures aimed at improving sustainable management of forests and ensuring that forest issues will continue to have priority in the process to define the United Nations development agenda after 2015.
- Economic and Social Council Holds Forum, Special Dialogue on Game-Changing Partnerships, Philanthropy Role in Post-2015 Agenda (22 April 2013)
On 23 and 24 April, at the United Nations Economic and Social Council, a forum on partnerships and a special dialogue highlighting the role for philanthropy in the post-2015 agenda will be held. Keynote speakers will include United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and philanthropist Mo Ibrahim.
Note No. 6390
- United Nations Commission on Population and Development to Examine Migration Trends during Forty-sixth Session, 22-26 April (19 April 2013)
New trends in global migration show considerable changes in the size, direction and complexity of migration, both within and between countries over the past 20 years, and the reasons behind that shift will be the main focus of discussion during the forty-sixth session of the United Nations Commission on Population and Development, to be held at Headquarters from 22 to 26 April.
Press Conference on Economic and Social Council’s Youth Forum (27 March 2013)
An infusion of youth perspectives — drawn from such events as today’s Economic and Social Council Youth Forum on science and technology and a newly launched online campaign known as “Innovate Your Future” — would bring a “real renewal” to the work of the United Nations, said Council President Néstor Osorio of Colombia at a Headquarters press conference this afternoon.
Press Conference on Fifty-Seventh Session of Commission on Status of Women (4 March 2013)
Calling for a universal response to the problem of violence against women and girls, Michelle Bachelet, Executive Director of UN-Women said today that Governments were the key to ending the “pandemic” of violence targeting females worldwide.
Press Conference by President of Economic and Social Council (13 February 2013)
Integrating the three pillars of sustainable development into United Nations development efforts would underpin the work of the Economic and Social Council in 2013, the organ’s newly elected President said at Headquarters today.