- Upcoming Period Will Be Critical to Talks on Ending Crisis in Syria, Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, Security Council Told (22 May 2013)
With “grave turmoil” on the ground threatening stability across the Middle East, a top United Nations official warned the Security Council today that the coming weeks would be critical on two major diplomatic fronts — negotiations to halt the increasingly bloody crisis in Syria, and ending the long-standing Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Security Council, Adopting Resolution 2103 (2013), Extends Mandate of United Nations Presence in Guinea-Bissau by One Year (22 May 2013)
Acting on the recommendation of United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, the Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations Integrated Peacebuilding Office in Guinea-Bissau (UNIOGBIS) for one year, deciding also to readjust its presence so it could help the West African nation restore constitutional order following the 2012 military coup and hold elections by the end of this year.
- Central African Republic Descends into ‘State of Anarchy’, Special Representative Tells Security Council, Urging Sanctions against ‘Architects’ of Violations (15 May 2013)
An already challenging situation in the Central African Republic had descended into a “state of anarchy and total disregard for international law”, as elements of the Séléka rebel group — which had seized power in a 24 March coup d’état — had turned their vengeance against an innocent population, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative told the Security Council today.
- Security Council Press Statement on United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (16 May 2013)
The following Security Council press statement was issued today by Council President Kodjo Menan (Togo):
- Security Council Press Statement on Deadly Attack in Benghazi, Libya (13 May 2013)
The following press statement was issued today by Security Council President Kodjo Menan (Togo):
- Statement by Chair of Security Council Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict (13 May 2013)
At its thirty-seventh meeting, the Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict agreed to address the following message to the Lord’s Resistance Army through a public statement by its Chair on behalf of the Working Group and to request the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict to ensure that the message was communicated to LRA in the most effective manner:
Press Conference by Security Council President on Work Programme for May (2 May 2013)
The Security Council would focus on African issues in May, including a debate on the fight against terrorism in the continent, Kodjo Menan, Permanent Representative of Togo to the United Nations, said today, as he assumed the Council presidency for this month.
Press Conference by Security Council President on Programme of Work for April (2 April 2013)
Maintaining peace and security, preventing conflict and ending sexual violence against women in Africa would be among the Security Council’s top priorities in April, the country’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations said at Headquarters today.
Press Conference by Security Council President for Month of March (28 March 2013)
The Russian Federation’s March presidency of the Security Council had seen the 15-member organ take up a “very rich” programme of work, Permanent Representative Vitaly I. Churkin said today, highlighting the adoption of six resolutions, the issuance of eight press statements and discussions on diverse security situations around the world, from Mali and South Sudan to the Middle East and Kosovo.