- Deputy Secretary-General Honours Recipients of 2013 United Nations Human Rights Prize at General Assembly Ceremony (10 December 2013)
The 2013 United Nations Prize in the Field of Human Rights was awarded today to five individuals and one judicial body at the General Assembly’s commemorative meeting to mark the sixty-fifth anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Fifth Committee Tackles Wide Range of Financial Matters, Including Funding for International Criminal Tribunals’ Transition to Residual Mechanism (10 December 2013)
The Fifth Committee (Administrative and Budgetary) today took stock of the financing requirements for the International Criminal Tribunals for Rwanda and the Former Yugoslavia, as it heard Secretariat officials shed light on progress in completing those bodies’ work and the transferring of their functions to a residual mechanism.
- ‘Moral and Political Failure’ to Leave Oceans Unprotected, Speaker Tells General Assembly, as It Adopts Two Broad-Based Resolutions on Topic (9 December 2013)
It was urgent for the world to come together to sustainably safeguard the health of its oceans, which covered two thirds of the Earth’s surface, connected 90 per cent of the population, provided 350 million jobs, and had 1 billion people in developing countries dependent on the fish those waters yielded, delegates in the General Assembly heard today prior to adopting two related draft resolutions.
- Chair Says Nelson Mandela Will Be ‘In Our Hearts and Minds’ as Palestinian Rights Committee Mobilizes Support for Lasting Solution to Question of Palestine (10 December 2013)
The following statement was issued today by Abdou Salam Diallo (Senegal), Chairman of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, on the passing of Nelson Mandela:
- Committee Will Hold Special Meeting, Other Events to Mark International Day of Solidarity with Palestinian People, 25 November (22 November 2013)
NEW YORK, 22 November (Division for Palestinian Rights) — The Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People will hold a special meeting in observance of the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People in the Economic and Social Council Chamber at 10 a.m. on Monday, 25 November, in accordance with General Assembly resolutions 32/40 B of 2 December 1977 and 67/21 of 30 November 2012.
- Statement by Bureau of Committee on Exercise of Inalienable Rights of Palestinian People on Israel’s Settlement Activity in Occupied Palestinian Territory (7 November 2013)
The Bureau of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People issued the following statement today, 7 November:
Press Conference by General Assembly President (3 October 2013)
At a Headquarters press conference today, Assembly President John Ashe (Antigua and Barbuda) welcomed civil society’s participation in determining the post-2015 development agenda as the “new norm”, and highlighted, among other changes, steps towards a new openness during the sixty-eighth General Assembly session.
Press Conference by President of Sixty-eighth General Assembly (17 September 2013)
Acknowledging attempts by many of his predecessors to move Security Council reform forward, the new President of the General Assembly said today that he would work for consensus on what that reform should look like.
Press Conference by General Assembly President (16 April 2013)
The past weeks have been a busy and exciting time featuring a number of historic events, General Assembly President Vuk Jeremić (Serbia) said today as he reviewed recent meetings and forecast the schedule for the coming months.