Sustainable Energy for All
News on Energy
Energy is central to nearly every major challenge and opportunity the world faces today. Be it for jobs, security, climate change, food production or increasing incomes, access to energy for all is essential.
Sustainable energy is opportunity – it transforms lives, economies and the planet.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is leading a Sustainable Energy for All initiative to ensure universal access to modern energy services, improve efficiency and increase use of renewable sources.
- One in five people still lacks access to modern electricity.
- 3 billion people rely on wood, coal, charcoal or animal waster for cooking and heating.
- Energy is the dominant contributor to climate change, accounting for around 60 per cent of total global greenhouse gas emissions.
- Reducing the carbon intensity of energy is a key objective in long-term climate goals.
- Buildings and climate change
- Natural gas in Inner Mongolia
- Energy-efficient light bulbs in Puebla, Mexico
- Solar and pedal-powered rechargeable LED lights in rural Rwanda
- Energy for a Sustainable Future (Report of the Secretary-General’s Advisory Group on Energy and Climate Change, 2010)
- UNDP Environment and Energy
- UNIDO Energy and Climate Change
Do you have a vision of a future with sustainable energy for all? Are you looking for ideas to power a brighter future?
Then join the global conversation and connect on Twitter using #futurewewant