Establishing new partnerships and expanding old ones is a major goal for the Department, which has taken a number of steps on this front, including by initiating and promoting creative long-term partnerships with, for example, the film industry, NGO coalitions, the business community, and young people.
- As part of its outreach to the civil society, the Department of Public Information DPI has established links with some 1,500 Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs).
UN Academic Impact
- A global initiative aligns institutions of higher education with the United Nations in furthering the realization of the purposes and mandate of the Organization through activities and research in a shared culture of intellectual social responsibility. This global network continues to expand: for latest information on the membership, check the membership page.
Creative Community Outreach Initiative
- The initiative is designed to tap into the remarkable outreach potential of television and film and to serve as a one-stop shop for writers, directors, producers and broadcasters interested in portraying issues of relevance to the United Nations in their work.
Messenger of Peace Programme
- The United Nations partners with celebrity advocates who lend their public voice in support of UN issues and to promote the work of the Organization. The Secretary-General has appointed 13 Messengers of Peace and Goodwill Ambassadors to highlight critical issues, such as biodiversity, violence against women, disarmament and the Millennium Development Goals.
Journalists Fellowship Programme
- The annual Reham Al-Farra Memorial Journalists Fellowship Programme is a unique opportunity for journalists from developing countries and countries with economies in transition to spend six weeks at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City. Established in 1980 by the UN General Assembly, the programme provides journalists with an opportunity to acquaint themselves with the work of the United Nations.