Elements of Press Statement on DRC
1. Members of the Council heard a new briefing by the Assistant Secretary-General of the DPKO, Mr
Hedi Annabi, on the latest developments in the political situation in the Democratic Republic of the
2. Members of the Council condemned the killing of President Laurent Kabila and conveyed their
condolences to his family as well as the government and people of the DRC.
3. Members of the Council emphasised that it was the responsibility of the people of the DRC to find
a permanent solution to lead the country towards national reconciliation, stability and development.
4. Members of the Council also recalled the importance they have attached to strict respect for the
ceasefire in the DRC, in conformity with the Lusaka Accord and the relevant resolutions of the
5. Members of the Council also expressed their support for the appeal made by the
Secretary-General to all the parties to work towards a peaceful resolution of the conflict.
6. Finally, members of the Council also emphasised that the international community stands ready to
support the people of the DRC in their efforts to implement the Lusaka Accord, restore peace and
preserve the sovereignty, political independence and territorial integrity of the DRC.
7. The members of the Council will keep the situation under review.