Elements of the Press Statement on the Situation in Angola
1. Council members heard a comprehensive briefing by Under Secretary-General Ibrahim Gambari on
Friday, 12 January 2001 and heard a continuation of the briefing today on the latest developments in
Angola. The Council noted with appreciation the efforts of USG Gambari on behalf of the
Secretary-General, to promote the peace process in Angola.
2. The Council also noted with appreciation the efforts of the new Head of the United Nations Office
in Angola (UNOA), Mr Mussagy Jeichande, to assist the Angolan people in rebuilding their society,
especially in the area of capacity building in human rights.
3. Council members however, noted with concern, the grave humanitarian situation in Angola
although they recognised that there has recently been some improvement due to the combined
efforts of the Government of Angola and the international community.
4. Council members also expressed their full support for the efforts of the Government of Angola to
bring about durable peace in Angola.
5. The Council noted that the Government of Angola had postponed the holding of general elections
to the second half of 2002. Council members also expressed their support to the Government of
Angola for its efforts to ensure that the conditions are conducive for the holding of fair and credible
elections as soon as possible and, in this regard, encouraged the international community to assist