17th Commemoration of the Genocide in Rwanda (2011)
The 2011 commemoration of the Rwanda genocide was observed with a series of events organized during the week of 4 April 2011 at United Nations Headquarters and at UN Information Centres around the world, under the theme: "Rebuilding Rwanda: Reconciliation and Education".
The activities organized in New York by the UN Outreach Programme on the Rwanda genocide in cooperation with the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Rwanda to the UN included a Memorial Ceremony and a Student Conference.
The exhibition "Lessons from Rwanda" was also displayed in English, French and Kinyarwanda by the Information Office of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda in Kigali, and the following UN Information Centres: UNIC Bujumbura, UNIC Dar es Salaam and UNIS Geneva.
More information about the 17th Commemoration of the Genocide in Rwanda:
- Message of the UN Secretary-General
- Activities organized by the network of UN Information Centres (UNICs) in the field
- United Nations to Commemorate 1994 Rwanda Genocide at Headquarters, under Theme ‘Rebuilding Rwanda: Reconciliation and Education’ (UN Press Release of 6 April 2011)
- "Preventing genocide only real way to honour Rwandan victims – Ban" (UN News Story of 7 April 2011)
- UN Holds Genocide Commemoration (The New Times, Rwanda)
- Rwanda: UN holds Genocide Commemoration (AllAfrica.com)
- Preventing Genocide Only Real Way to Honour Rwandan Victims- Ban (Modern Ghana)
- India, UN to help growth in Rwanda (News One India)
Note: the external links above are provided for information purposes only. The United Nations is not responsible for the content of any external web pages.