UN International Network of
Female Police Peacekeepers
The United Nations International Network of Female Police Peacekeepers for the first time is uniting women in policing in peacekeeping operations to show that women have a role to play in global peace and security.
By actively engaging and utilizing the Network effectively, female peacekeepers will be empowered and will in turn empower others. By helping each other through mutual support, mentoring, training and advocacy, the Network can be a resource to realize one’s full potential.
UN delegation to the International Association of Women Police annual conference in
Minneapolis, USA. Photo Irene Ang
The UN International Network of Female Police Peacekeepers was established to promote, strengthen and advance the profile of female police in international peace operations.
This network promotes the UN Global Effort to increase the number of female police officers in national and international police services. It raises awareness about the experience of and the need for more female police in international peace operations.
- To encourage equal representation of female police officers across all ranks and particularly in senior positions in peace operations according to the UN Global Effort.
- To provide a platform to promote the contributions made by female police officers to peace operations and advocate for issues affecting them.
- To contribute to the professionalism of the UN Police (UNPOL) by harnessing the specialized skills and capacity that female police officers bring to peace operations. To provide a mechanism to share experiences and expertise on international policing and issues affecting women.
- To build opportunities for learning and development by providing information to members on existing training relevant to policing in peace operations including facilitating access if possible.
- To create a process for mentoring female police peacekeepers and help members become effective leaders.
- To develop a network of professional contacts between officers within and across peace operations. To establish links with other national, regional and international police networks and create synergies with existing programmes.
The Network follows the core values and competencies of the UN.
- Respect for diversity
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Building trust
- Empowering other