UNMIL Facts and Figures
Current authorization until 30 September 2015
Security Council resolution 2190 of 15 December 2014
Initially authorized (19 September 2003 - 13 July 2005)
- 15,000 military personnel:
- 250 military observers
- 160 staff officers
- 1,115 police officers, including formed units; and the appropriate civilian component
Adjustments in authorized strength
In the following years, adjustments to the UNMIL military component in 2006, together with the drawdown conducted from 2007 to 2010, reduced the Mission’s troop strength from 15,250 military personnel to 7,952 troops. The police component stood at 1,375 police personnel, including formed police units.
On 17 September 2012, the Security Council, by its resolution 2066 (2012), decided to decrease UNMIL’s military strength by about 4,200 personnel, in three phases between August 2012 and July 2015. Mission military strength would be at about 3,750 personnel by July 2015. At the same time, the Council decided to increase the number of UNMIL’s authorized formed police units by some 420 personnel for a new authorized ceiling of 1,795 personnel.
Currently authorizedBy its resolution 2215 of 2 April 2015, the Security Council endorsed the Secretary-General’s recommendation and authorized him to implement the third phase of the phased drawdown of UNMIL to arrive at a new military ceiling of 3,590 personnel and to reduce the police ceiling to 1,515 personnel, with both ceilings to be reached by September 2015.
Current strength (31 March 2016)
- 3,745 total uniformed personnel
- 2,592 troops
- 71 military observers
- 1,082 police (including formed units)
- 358 international civilian personnel*
- 801 local staff*
- 178 UN Volunteers
*NB: Statistics for international and local civilians are as of 31 July 2015
- Find out which countries are contributing troops and police personnel to the mission.
- View the latest fatality statistics by mission, nationality, appointment type and year.
- Method of financing: Assessment in respect of a Special Account
- Approved budget (07/2015 – 06/2016): $344,712,200 [A/C.5/69/24 ]