UNMIL Facts and Figures
Current authorization until 31 December 2016
Security Council resolution 2308 of 14 September 2016
In September 2015, the Security Council decided to:
- decrease UNMIL’s authorized military strength from 3,590 to 1,240 military personnel, which includes one infantry battalion and re lated enablers, by 30 June 2016;
- decrease UNMIL’s authorized police strength from 1,515 to 606 police personnel, which includes three formed police units, as well as immigration and police advisers, by 30 June 2016.
View the peacekeeping factsheet to see the number of personnel currently deployed.
Initially authorized (19 September 2003 - 13 July 2005)
- 15,000 military personnel:
- 250 military observers
- 160 staff officers
- 1,115 police officers, including formed units; and the appropriate civilian component
Adjustments in authorized strength
Adjustments to the UNMIL military component in 2006, together with the drawdown conducted from 2007 to 2010, reduced the Mission’s troop strength from 15,250 military personnel to 7,952 troops. The police component stood at 1,375 police personnel, including formed police units.
On 17 September 2012, the Security Council, by its resolution 2066 (2012), decided to decrease UNMIL’s military strength by about 4,200 personnel, in three phases between August 2012 and July 2015. Mission military strength would be at about 3,750 personnel by July 2015. At the same time, the Council decided to increase the number of UNMIL’s authorized formed police units by some 420 personnel for a new authorized ceiling of 1,795 personnel.
By its resolution 2215 of 2 April 2015, the Security Council endorsed the Secretary-General’s recommendation and authorized him to implement the third phase of the phased drawdown of UNMIL to arrive at a new military ceiling of 3,590 personnel and to reduce the police ceiling to 1,515 personnel, with both ceilings to be reached by September 2015.
- Find out which countries are contributing troops and police personnel to the mission.
- View the latest fatality statistics by mission, nationality, appointment type and year.
- Method of financing: Assessment in respect of a Special Account
- Approved budget (07/2016 – 06/2017): $187,192,400 (A/C.5/70/24 )