According to Security Council resolution 1272 (1999)
of 25 October 1999:
had overall responsibility for the administration of East Timor and was empowered to exercise all legislative and executive authority, including the administration of justice.
UNTAET's mandate consisted of the following elements:
- To provide security and maintain law and order throughout the territory of East Timor;
- To establish an effective administration;
- To assist in the development of civil and social services;
- To ensure the coordination and delivery of humanitarian assistance, rehabilitation and development assistance;
- To support capacity-building for self-government;
- To assist in the establishment of conditions for sustainable development.
|UN Home Page
||Not an official document of the United Nations. Maintained by the Peace and Security Section of the Department of Public Information in cooperation with the Department of Peacekeeping Operations. (c) United Nations 2001