Gender and Peacekeeping
Women and men experience conflict differently and therefore understand peace differently.
See the many ways women are involved in peacekeeping.
Recognizing and integrating these differences – known as gender perspectives – into all aspects of UN peace operations, is essential for the success of the UN’s peacekeeping efforts.
International Women's Day 2017
8 March is International Women's Day and this year the UN focus is on "Women in the Changing World of Work: Planet 50-50 by 2030". Find out why we need more female peacekeepers.
How does UN Peacekeeping tackle this issue?
The Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) has a number of ways to ensure that gender issues are at the core of our work.
One of the most important is the policy of gender mainstreaming. This ensures that gender perspectives are integrated into all elements of policy development in all sections (Security Sector Reform, Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration, Police, Military, Elections) from initial planning through to evaluation.
DPKO also analyses the impact that peacekeeping has on the lives of both men and women in post conflict situations.
To guarantee that gender is mainstreamed throughout peacekeeping operations, DPKO draws from the directive “Policy on Gender Equality in Peacekeeping operations" .
Where we work
Find out where we have senior gender advisers and what work they do.
Women, peace and security
Did you know we are mandated to address gender issues through Security Council Resolutions on women, peace and security?
Women in Peacekeeping
Find out about why it is essential that we have women peacekeepers.
- DPKO/DFS Gender Forward Looking Strategy 2014-2018
- Women, peace and identifying security: piloting military gender guidelines in UNIFIL 2014
- Head of UN Mission in South Sudan in The Huffington Post: "Empower the Women of the World's Youngest Nation -- South Sudan."
- Head of UN Mission in Liberia in The Huffington Post: "A Promise Is a Promise: Time for Action to End Violence Against Women."
- Numbers of female military and police personnel in peacekeeping operations 2005 - 2010