Commemorative event at UN Headquarters, 9 March 2010
On 9 March 2010, a special memorial event was held to honour Members of the UN Family who lost their lives in the earthquake in Haiti.
Among those participating were Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, General Assembly President H.E. Dr. Ali Abdussalam Treki, and the Permanent Representative of Haiti, H.E. Mr. Léo Mérorès.
(All Webcasts require Real Player)
- Webcast of entire ceremony (1 hour, 7 min.)
- A short movie remembering our fallen colleagues. (6 min.)
- Welcome by Master of Ceremonies Ms. Angela Kane, Under-Secretary-General,
Department of Management. (1 min.)
- Statement by H.E. Mr. Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations (8 min.)
- The Secretary-General calls for a minute of silence. (1 min.)
- Statement by H.E. Dr. Ali Abdussalam Treki, President of the 64th session of the UN General Assembly.
Music played by Ms. Rieko Kawabata, violinist (3 min.)
Reading of the names of the 101 United Nations personnel who lost their lives
(read by Mr. Ahmad Fawzi and Ms. Michele Montas (14 min.)
Laying of bouquets of flowers (Ms. Susana Malcorra, Under-Secretary-General, Department of Field Support (DFS); Mr. Alain Le Roy, Under-Secretary-General, Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO); Lt. Gen. Chikadibia Isaac Obiakor, Military Adviser, Office of Military Affairs, DPKO; and Ms. Ann-Marie Orler, Police Adviser, Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions, DPKO) (1 min.)
Poem read by H.E. Mr. Antonio Pedro Monteiro Lima, Permanent Representative of Cape Verde to the United Nations. (4 min.)
Remarks by H.E. Mr. Léo Mérorès, Permanent Representative of Haiti to the United Nations. (6 min.)
- Tribute to the United Nations Flag. (5 min.)
Song performed by Ms. Emeline Michel ("a capella"). (3 min.)