12 September: Opening of the 72nd Session of the General Assembly (Preliminary list of items in the provisional agenda)
18 September: High-Level Meeting on the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
19-25 September: General Debate of the General Assembly 72nd Session
20 September: Signing Ceremony of the Treaty for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
20 September: Security Council High Level Meeting: Reform of UN peacekeeping, implementation and follow-up
26 September: High-level plenary meeting to promote and commemorate the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons
27-28 September: High -level meeting of the General Assembly on the appraisal of the United Nations Global Plan of Action to Combat Trafficking in Persons (resolution 71/287)
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Tuesday, 5 September 2017 (CLOSED)
The GA72 media pass will cover the period of 12-29 September. If you already have a valid UN Media pass, you DO NOT need to apply for a separate badge to cover the high-level period of GA72.
If you do not have a pass, please apply for accreditation by following the online instructions.
Picking up your badge: PASSES CAN BE PICKED UP STARTING 12 SEPTEMBER (AND NOT BEFORE) FROM LOCATIONS LISTED BELOW.
Once access to 1st avenue is restricted, you will need to show a print out of this confirmation email to officers at 2nd Avenue and 46th st. in order to reach the accreditation office.
From 12-15 September, badges can be collected at the Pass and Identification Unit, 320 East 45th St. (between First and Second Avenues).
From 17-22 September, badges can be collected at the UNITAR Building, 801 First Avenue (corner of 45th St. and First Avenue).
WHEN PICKING UP THE PASS, YOU MUST BRING A PRINT-OUT OF THE CONFIRMATION EMAIL APPROVING YOUR REQUEST, A COPY OF THE LETTER OF ASSIGNMENT AND ORIGINAL PASSPORT WITH MEDIA VISA/WORK AUTHORIZATION/GREEN CARD.
Hours of operation:
Tues. to Fri., 12 to 15 September - 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday, 17 September - 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Monday, 18 September - 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Tuesday, 19 September - 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Wed.-Thurs., 20-21 September - 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, 22 September - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday, 25 September - 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Entrance for press: The designated media entrance is located at 47th Street and First Avenue, open from 6 a.m. to close of business. Once access is restricted, pedestrian can reach 1st Avenue from the cross point at 2nd Avenue and 46th Street. Unaccredited members of the media will need to show a print out of the accreditation approval email to officers at 2nd Avenue and 46th st. in order to reach the accreditation office.
A list of open meetings, press briefings/conferences and other outreach activities at UNHQ will be posted daily in the Media Alert.
Media center: Conference Room 1. Open for limited hours, 10 am -2 pm for testing Sunday, 17 September.
- Please bring your own headphones and the appropriate cables as none will be available in the media center.
- The following feeds will be provided to the broadcasters:
1) HDSDI (1080x1920x60i) on a 75 ohm BNC connector with all embedded audio channels
2) NTSC analog composite letterboxed (525x60i) on a 75 ohm BNC connector
3) Separate Audio - analog balanced audio at mic level (-48dbu) on a 600 ohm XLR connector
- Please avoid using personal hotspots as it may interfere with the available WiFi.
- UNTV Transmission Guide, including information on feeds and the video library.
Media Accreditation and Liaison Unit (MALU) main office (S-250 - second floor of the Secretariat Building):
- General inquiries
- Limited escort to conference rooms 5-12, Visitors Plaza
General Assembly Hall (GA Building)
- The GA Liaison Desk (Third floor GA building) is accesible from the Visitors Plazavia the outside ramp.
- Booths for TV crews and photographers: All media will need to be escorted by MALU from liaison desk to access the booths and meetings that are open to the press
- Tickets for the fourth floor mezzanine: A limited number of tickets will be available at the GA Liaison Desk (Third floor GA building) for the morning and afternoon sessions. They will be distributed on a first-come first-served basis
- Delegates' Entrance: All media will need to be escorted by MALU from the GA Liaison Desk to access this area. TV crews and photographers will not be able to leave the area during arrival and/or departure of VIPs
- Escort to Treaty Signing area from the liaison desk
Conference Building (CB)
- The basement and second floor of the CB will be restricted to the press.
- Meetings in CR-2, CR-3, CR-4: Media will need to be escorted by MALU from 1st floor liaison desk.
- Meetings in ECOSOC, Trusteeship and Security Council chambers: Media will need be escorted by MALU from 3rd floor CB liaison desk.
- Meetings in Conference Rooms 5-12: In the restricted area. Please inquire about access at the 2nd floor MALU office.
Briefing Room (S-237)
The majority of the press conferences will take place in room S-237 on the second floor of the Secretariat. These events are open only to members of the press who have a media badge. A stakeout position will also be set up on the 3rd floor of the GA, accessible via the outside ramp.
Media Documents Centre (S-0219)
Members of the media can request documents, statements, and press releases from the Media Documents Centre, located in room S-0219 or email email@example.com
Rose Garden: Open to the media. No escort needed
Visitors Plaza: Escort required for stand-ups, interviews, etc.
Delegates Dining Room: No escort required. Access to events requires approval from organizers.
Press Island: Media clearance for the use of press island (between 45th & 46th St. on the East side of 1st avenue) is done through the City of New York. Please contact the NY Deputy Commissioner’s Office at 646-610-6700.
For a more complete list of meetings at UNHQ, please refer to the UN Journal and follow what is happening at the UN via the UN News Centre, press releases, Audiovisual Library, webcast, radio programmes, UNifeed, photos, UN Apps, and much more.
[More information will be posted in the coming weeks as it becomes available]