The Holocaust and the United Nations Outreach Programme in partnership with
the Permanent Mission of the Philippines to the United Nations and
3 Roads Communications will screen
“Rescue in the Philippines: Refuge from the Holocaust”
Thursday, 7 November 2013
6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
United Nations Headquarters, New York
Registration for this event is now CLOSED.
The film, directed by Cynthia Scott and Russell Hodge, and produced by Barbara Sasser and Peggy Ellis tells the little-known story of how President Manuel Quezon, along with a few influential Americans who were living in the Philippines at the time, coordinated the rescue of over 1,300 Jews from Europe.
Following the screening of this film, panellists will discuss the historical significance of this rescue effort from different perspectives. A question and answer session will follow the discussion.
- Peter Launsky-Tieffenthal, Under-Secretary-General for Communications and Public Information
- Ambassador Eduardo De Vega, Deputy Permanent Representative of the Republic of the Philippines to the United Nations
- Barbara Sasser, Co-producer
MODERATOR: Maher Nasser, Director, Outreach Division, DPI
- Bonnie Gurewitsch, Archivist and Curator at the Museum of Jewish Heritage-A Living Memorial to the Holocaust
- Russell C. Hodge, President and Executive Producer of 3 Roads Communications- Ursula Progl, Holocaust survivor