- Women Watch - the gateway to information and resources on the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women throughout the UN system, including the UN Secretariat, regional commissions, funds, programmes, specialized agencies and academic and research institutions.
- The Charter of the United Nations: Preamble and Article 1 (1945)
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948)
- Convention on the Political Rights of Women (1952)
- Convention on the Nationality of Married Women (1957)
- Convention on Consent to Marriage, Minimum Age for Marriage and Registration of Marriages (1962)
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (1979) (CEDAW)
- UN Gender Equality Newsfeed - a newsfeed that automatically collects gender equality-related news from individual RSS news feeds in the UN system and displays a combined up-to-date news list on a single web page.
Conferences, Events, Observances
- Women Watch, "UN Conferences, Meetings and Special Days on Gender and Women’s Issues"
- "The Four Global Women’s' Conferences, 1975-1995: An Historical Perspective" — an overview of four World Conferences on Women, held in Mexico City (1975), Copenhagen (1980), Nairobi (1985) and Beijing (1995).
- Fourth World Conference on Women: Action for Equality, Development and Peace (Beijing, 1995) — including the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action
- UN General Assembly Special Session, "Gender Equality, Development and Peace for the 21st Century" ("Beijing +5"), New York; 5-9 June 2000
- Twelve critical areas of concern are addressed in the 1995 Beijing Platform for Action:
- Women and poverty
- Education and training of women
- Women and health
- Violence against women
- Women and armed conflict
- Women and the economy
- Women in power and decision-making
- Institutional mechanisms for the advancement of women
- Human rights of women:
- Women and the media
- Women and the environment
- The girl-child
- Gender issues at the 2005 World Summit
The UN Family and Women’s Issues
- "A Brief History of the UN and Women’s Rights"
(World Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA))
- "Gender Responsive Budgeting" (a collaborative effort)
- "Mainstreaming a gender perspective in peace and security" and "Women with Disabilities" (Women Watch)
- Asian Development Bank (ADB), "Gender and development"
- Global Alliance for Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and Development (GAID), "International Task Force on Women and ICT"
- Global Coalition on Women and AIDS — a UNAIDS initiative
- International Labour Organization (ILO), "Gender: Equality between Men and Women"
- UN Women, "Gender and HIV/AIDS"
- UN Women, "Violence against Women"
- UN Development Programme (UNDP), "Women’s Empowerment"
- UN Centre for Human Settlements (UN-HABITAT), "Women and Secure Tenure"
- UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF), "Gender Equality"
- UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), "Gender Mainstreaming"
- UN Environment Programme (UNEP), "Gender and the Environment"
- UN Girls’ Education Initiative, "Girls Too! Education for All"
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), "Refugee Women"
- UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT), Gender Mainstreaming"
- UN Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA), "Gender Perspectives on Disarmament"
- UN Population Fund (UNFPA), "Gender Equality: A Cornerstone of Development"
- World Bank Group Action Plan: "Gender Equality as Smart Economics"
- World Health Organization (WHO), "Gender Inequalities and HIV"
- World Health Organization (WHO), "Women’s Health"
The UN Regional Commissions and Women’s Issues
- UN Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), “Gender and Social Development”
- UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), “Gender Statistics”
- UN Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), “Unidad Mujer y Desarrollo” (“Women and Development: Gender”)
- UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), “Gender Equality and Empowerment”
- UN Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), “The ESCWA Centre for Women”
Violence against Women
- UN Action Against Sexual Violence in Conflict - a new, cross-UN initiative, committed to preventing all forms of gender-based violence, including sexual violence, in conflict and to support survivors.
- UNITE: The Secretary-General’s Campaign to End Violence Against Women
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women — Overview, History
- Charlize Theron is a United Nations Messenger of Peace with a special focus on ending violence against women.
- Goodwill Ambassadors of UN Women:
- UN Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women, Its Causes and Consequences
Women and the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
- UN Women, “Gender Issues and the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)”
- UN Millennium Project, “Education and Gender Equality”
- UN Non-Governmental Liaison Service (NGLS), “Millennium Goal 3: Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment” and “Millennium Goal 5: “Improve Maternal Health”
- United Nations Millennium Declaration
- Global Strategy for Women’s and Children’s Health
* OECD/DAC is the Development Assistance Committee of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation.