UN and Related Bodies
- “UN Water” — an inter-agency mechanism to coordinate UN system actions to achieve the water-related goals of the Millennium Declaration and the 2002 World Summit on Sustainable Development.
- Coordinating Humanitarian Relief efforts, the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene cluster — led by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme (JMP) for Water Supply and Sanitation
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and …
- Environment for Development: Freshwater
- UNEP Collaborating Centre on Water and the Environment
- UNEP Regional Seas Programme
- UNEP Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-based Activities – Adopted in 1995 under UNEP auspices, it is considered a milestone in international efforts to protect oceans, estuaries and coastal waters from pollution caused by human activities on land.
- The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and …
- The International Decade for Action, “Water for Life” (2015-2015, from 22 March 2005).
- UN Documentation Centre on Water and Sanitation
- World Water Development Report (a triennial UN report)
- UN-Water Global Analysis and Assessment of Sanitation and Drinking-Water (GLAAS)
- Water and Wastewater Reuse — An Environmentally Sound Approach for Sustainable Urban Water Management
- Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), Goal 7: Ensure Environmental Sustainability — Target 3: Halve, by 2015, the proportion of the population without sustainable access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation
- World Water Day (22 March)
- UNESCO Institute for Water Education
- The UN Convention to Combat Desertification in those Countries Experiencing Serious Drought and/or Desertification, Particularly in Africa (1994) — Focuses on rehabilitation of land, improving productivity, and the conservation and management of land and water resources.