- Youth currently number 1.2 billion, or approximately 18 per cent of the world’s population.
- Currently, 62 per cent of youth live in Asia and the next largest proportion, 17 per cent, live in Africa.
- Approximately 64 per cent of African youth and 84 per cent of Asian youth live in countries where at least one third of the population lives on less than $2-a-day.
- Although they comprised 25 per cent of the working age population in 2007, youth accounted for more than 40 per cent of the world's unemployed.
- More than 80 per cent of the world’s youth live in Africa, Asia and Oceania, where employment in agriculture comprises at least 35 per cent of total employment.