Revitalization of the work of the General Assembly
71st Session (2016)
By resolution 70/305 of 13 September 2016, the General Assembly decided to establish at its 71st session an ad hoc working group on the revitalization of the work of the General Assembly (AHWG), open to all Member States, “to identify further ways to enhance the role, authority, effectiveness and efficiency of the Assembly, inter alia, by building on the progress achieved in past sessions of the Assembly as well as on previous resolutions, including evaluating the status of their implementation” and to submit a report thereon to the Assembly at its 71st session.
By the same resolution, the General Assembly also decided that the AHWG shall continue its review of the inventory (see p.34 of document A/70/1003) of General Assembly resolutions on revitalization annexed to its report submitted at the 70th session of the Assembly.
Among specific mandates for the 71st session, the Assembly:
- Requested the Secretary-General to brief on the follow-up actions taken to the General Assembly's informal meeting, held on 15 March 2016, on ways and means to further enhance the cooperation bewteen permanent missions and the Secretariat;
- Futher requested the Secretary-General to provide proposals on possible changes to the format, production and editing of the Journal, by reallocating existing resources and economizing on the costs of publishing it;
- Requested each Main Committee to further discuss its working methods at the beginning of every session, and in this regard invited th Chairs of the Main Committees to brief the AHWG, as appropriate;
- Requested the Secretary-General to report on sources of the funding and staffing of the Office of the President of the Assembly, including on any technical, logistical, protocol-related or financial questions, and for more clarification on the budgetary basis for the provision of such support by the Secretariat;
- Requested the President of the General Assembly, in cooperation with the Secretariat, to report on the implementation of all mandates accorded to him by resolution 70/305.
- Tentative programme of work of the AHWG (19 January 2017)
- Appointment of Co-Chairs of the AHWG on the revitalization of the work of the General Assembly (24 October 2016)
Draft updated inventory chart
- Updated inventory chart of General Assembly resolutions on the revitalization of the work of the General Assembly to be issued pursuant to resolution 70/305